WAR---for or against---and why?

sidcrowe

Reaction score
I've only started about 6 threads in all the time I've been a member of the MC forum. I hope you all don't mind if I start one.

How about we use this thread as a judgement-free place to state an opinion on the matter? Anybody who wants to can state once, and leave it alone.

Nobody criticizes anybody else. No questions. No rebuttals.

Put down an opinion on the subject, and leave it alone. Let the ideas fall like a handful of rocks, and then don't disturb any of them.

Whoever posts twice will be considered rude, and ignored. You can edit, but no more than one post.

Sound like a fair idea? Wanna try? Isn't this better? Have your say and nobody talks back to you.

Lemme try: I am against it. I think it threatens us all, and we should have waited to try a bunch of other things, even if Saddam does waste time. It's too risky to go fast with this.

There. I'm done. Anybody else?

Kye

Reaction score
All of my feelings can be summed up in a quick letter that was written by Dennis Miller. I will post it here for all to enjoy.

"TRYING TO HELP"

By Dennis Miller

All the rhetoric on whether or not we should go to war against Iraq has got my little brain spinning like a top. I enjoy reading opinions from both sides, but I've detected a hint of confusion from some of you. Maybe this can help.

As I was reading the paper recently, I was reminded of the best advice anyone ever gave me. He told me about the "KISS" method ("Keep It Simple, Stupid!"). So with this as a theme, I'd like to apply this theory for those who don't quite get it. My hope is that we can simplify things and recognize a few important facts.

Here are ten things to consider when voicing an opinion on this important issue:

(1) Between President Bush and Saddam Hussein ... Hussein is the bad guy.

(2) If you have faith in the United Nations to do the right things, keep this in mind: the UN has Libya heading the Committee on Human Rights and Iraq heading the Global Disarmament Committee. Do your own math here.

(3) If you use a Google or Yahoo search and type in "French Military Victories," don't be surprised if your computer panics at its inability to respond to your inquiry.

(4) If your only anti-war slogan is "No War For Oil," hire a pit bull lawyer and sue your school district for having allowed you to slip through the cracks and robbing you of the minimum education that any non-troglodyte deserves.

(5) You can take this one to the bank: Saddam and bin Laden will NOT seek UN approval before they try to kill us.

(6) Despite common belief among some, Martin Sheen is NOT the President. He only plays one on TV.

(7) If you are anti-war and even an outright "America Basher," to bin Laden you are still an "infidel" whom he wants dead.

(8) Be careful: if you believe in a "vast right-wing conspiracy," but not in the danger that Hussein poses, the only job you may be able to get is as an Ivy League college professor.

(9) Even multi-culturalists who try to browbeat us into believing that all cultures are equally deserving of respect have trouble explaining the past 500 years of Islam.

(10) Whether you are for or against military action, our young men and women overseas are fighting to defend our right to speak out on these issues. They deserve our unreserved support.

I hope this helps.

:sympathy:

tomahawk

Reaction score
Correction, Bush is also an evil man. Ladies and gentlemen what we have here is a court appointed president because obviously all the voting we did, yeah, that didn't count.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Absolutely could not say it any better then the letter by Dennis Miller posted by Kye. Just beautiful!!:smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree with that statement from Kye and Miller too. I don't like war and don't consider myself pro-war. I firmly believe in the quote from Edmund Burke. "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men do nothing." I wish there were a third choice, but I support the troops and our nation's decision and pray for a quick and peaceful conclusion.

Boober_Baby

Reaction score
I am strongly against war.

I am strongly against this war.

I am strongly against Bush and his decisions.

I'm also strongly against Saddam Hussein. (But Bush is still a tyrant)

I'm against everything this war has been about so far... but I don't know if there really is any other plausible way... so I'm not sure.

~ Deb

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There has been some positive discussion and heated words in this thread. As with all important and controversial topics, you can debate the content of an individual's posts, but do not make personal attacks on someone because of their views, whatever they are. Everyone's opinions are just as valid as someone else. Don't cross the line and make personal judgments or attacks about another individual. The "General Discussion" folder is here for you to discuss whatever you want, but without personal attacks towards other members. If you overstep the bounds, moderators will give you a warning and take appropriate action if necessary. If a moderator edits a post, they will explain why.

Keep in mind that some members visit this forum to get away from the war, not necessarily to be reminded of the debate surrounding it. As a nation that values freedom, we need to be respectful of all views. We don't have to agree, but the bottom line is that we do need to make an extra effort to respect others throughout these conversations and the perilous times that we live.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I have been torn since the beginning over this war. I am very strongly against the idea of war and always have been. Knowing that there are weapons of mass destruction in the world makes me especially fearful of getting into a conflict that could escalate into world war. At the same time, Saddam Hussein is a huge threat, and the Iraqi people are under incredible oppression. I definitely think now that we have started this war, we need to finish it or the Iraqis are going to pay dearly as they did after Desert Storm. I just pray for a swift resolution to this war and for peace. Any casualties of soldiers or civilians, on either side, are too many.
Erin

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by Kye

(10) Whether you are for or against military action, our young men and women overseas are fighting to defend our right to speak out on these issues. They deserve our unreserved support.

It was all good, but this part is the most important in my opinion.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I for one am a firm believer in Bush and his administration.

I believe his Presidency is justly accounted for. Those chads were carefully scrutinized for weeks -- no one can ask for better proof of legitimacy than that. He is the non-fictional U.S. President.

Not only this, but I believe he's a darn good President at that. For 8 Clintonian years America ignored foreign threats and let them stock up their weapons and plot against us. Now America is paying for the negligence Clinton brought. After 9-11 Bush got the War on Terrorism started with an iron fist. Most everyone supported those attacks on the Taliban.

We have before us now a chance to prevent another 9-11, and Bush is taking it. We record history so we can learn from it, and while the WTC attacks were recent enough to remember without having recorded them, many Americans still can't get it through their heads that we live in a world with evil -- there are people out to destroy us, and they're not going to care whether we want peace with them or not, as Sadaam has emphatically implied for half a year by not handing over his weapons. Therefore, it was not Bush's decision to attack, but Sadaam's. Bush was keeping his word when he attacked, unlike former Presidents. I like a leader who is trustworthy, and who wants to protect his country from the evil plans of its adversaries. This is a complete and accurate description of our President Bush, and I see no cause for anyone to be against him, or his cause for war.

Sadaam's time is up -- we offered him peace, he wouldn't take it, and our only other option is to eliminate him before he eliminates us.

It's self-defense. It's OK. And I'm for it.

--"Scary" Larry Wolf