Warner Bros. Focuses More On Animated Films

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I hope they're as good as Happy Feet and The Iron Giant, and not a bunch of uneeded sequels. Lego the movie sounds strange. I wonder if it would be nothing more than a long commercial or more like Toy Story.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Warners doesn't have too good a track record on that stuff. Iron Giant was a classic, sure. That's because Brad Bird is a genius. Legend of the Guardians was supposedly terrible (and ugly, and I bet that lead to confusion with Rise of the Guardians, which was brilliant), and I don't even see the point of Happy Feet 1 let alone 2.

Lego is very much a brand film, and it could go either way. Personally, I'm just excited for the DTV Lego Batman project (hope it comes with a Lego Batman figure, like Lego Star Wars did).

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
The Iron Giant was basically the only good thing Warner Brothers Feature Animation had their name on. Space Jam, despite being beloved by 90s kids with strapped-on-tight, is a clustered wandering mess. Quest for Camelot and Osmosis Jones both have fantastic animation (still consider the two-headed dragon a guilty pleasure), but horrible scripts. Looney Tunes: Back in Action was alright, but that was due more to Dante's attempted fingerprints on it above all else. That said, if Warners makes more movies encouraging creative freedom in-house, I'd like to see what they can do.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Tweety's High-Flying Adventure was an interesting take on the old Around the World in 80 Days story.

Rover Dangerfield is, by all counts, a Hyperion film that WB slapped their name on for distribution purposes (Disney did a similar thing The Brave Little Toaster, which ended up being an indie film also made by Hyperion after Disney originally dropped out of the project), but I think you have to be a fan of Rodney Dangerfield, and/or appreciate his humor in order to really enjoy this movie (or just simply like talking dog movies).

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Iron Giant was basically the only good thing Warner Brothers Feature Animation had their name on. Space Jam, despite being beloved by 90s kids with strapped-on-tight, is a clustered wandering mess. Quest for Camelot and Osmosis Jones both have fantastic animation (still consider the two-headed dragon a guilty pleasure), but horrible scripts. Looney Tunes: Back in Action was alright, but that was due more to Dante's attempted fingerprints on it above all else. That said, if Warners makes more movies encouraging creative freedom in-house, I'd like to see what they can do.
Osmosis Jones was a half decent movie. The animated part of the movie was great. It's incredibly underrated, but I like the direction the cartoon took instead. Space Jam makes the most of something that was a cynical cash grab ruined by the execs. At least the Looney Tunes characters were pretty good in it. After all, it has one of the funniest lines I've ever heard Daffy Duck say "We gotta talk to our lawyers, we're getting screwed." Quest for Camelot was just so incredibly cynically trying to be Disney that it doesn't go any further than stealing cliches and then making lame pot shots at the same movies they're ripping off. I like the 2 Headed Dragon and the Urkel voiced axe head chicken, but that's the only take away.

I just don't see WB needing to add to the CGI kiddy flick clustercrap we have out there. It's not just Pixar and Dreamworks trying to one up each other like it was in the late 90's to early 00's. We have tenth party garbage like Dino Time that seems like it should be in the 5 dollar bin at TRU. Sony finally made a film I didn't hate with Hotel Transylvania (as Adam Sandlery as it was). There's just too much out there, and it's hurting the reputation of CGI animated films. Even Pixar's looking overkill by comparison.