Was Dave Goelz in these SST sketches?

Splurge

Reaction score
Here's a question for someone in the know (or someone who may not be in the know but just have a big opinion).

I know Dave Goelz appeared in the more recent sketches - Elephant Elevator Operator, and from what I remember from Jerry Nelson or Rick Lyon is that he came when the Muppeteers were going through a rough time, what with the death of Jim Henson and Richard Hunt.

But my question is from these skits from the days of Henson still being alive. In the Egyptian Pyramid sketch, did he play the Ernie-looking statue? And in the Here-Fishee-Fishee-Fishee sketch did he play the shark who said "You called?" Because I'd swear they sounded like Beauregard from TMS, and I don't immediately recognize what other Muppeteer it could be.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, bit I think Jerry Nelson might've played the Egyptian-Ernie statue and Martin P. Robinson could have been the shark.
By the way, is there any way I can change my "Junior Member" "rank"? I'm new to all this new stuff at delphi.com.

Lu775

Reaction score
MuppetDude

Just keep posting, eventually your Jr. member status will change. :smile:

Ryan

Reaction score
Splurge:

Jerry performed both the Egyptian Ernie and the shark. Dave did however appear in a Simon the Soundman sketch from the early 90's. He played an AM salesman. He also appeared in EIG, as the giant chicken :big_grin: and the blue mouse in Huxley's house.

Splurge

Reaction score
Ah yes, a Tall Orange AM in the china shop. Dave was also the Elephant Elevator Operator.

Squigiman

Reaction score
Wait, seriously, it was Jerry Nelson who did the Ernie Statue??? How do you know this, for sure? I always wondered, as it does not sound like Jim in a pre-recorded bit, but I certainly don't hear any Jerry, there. I figured, later on, that maybe it was Steve, who would go on to voice Ernie, in a Jim impression. I am really interested in this, as it gave me nightmares for fourteen years. Plus, I met Jerry, so that would be crazy, knowing I met the man behind the voice of my greatest fear. Thanks for any help, and take care.

-Squigiman

Ryan

Reaction score
Squigiman said:
Wait, seriously, it was Jerry Nelson who did the Ernie Statue??? How do you know this, for sure? I always wondered, as it does not sound like Jim in a pre-recorded bit, but I certainly don't hear any Jerry, there. I figured, later on, that maybe it was Steve, who would go on to voice Ernie, in a Jim impression. I am really interested in this, as it gave me nightmares for fourteen years. Plus, I met Jerry, so that would be crazy, knowing I met the man behind the voice of my greatest fear. Thanks for any help, and take care.

-Squigiman
Yes, I am 100% positive it's Jerry. It is a bit of a different voice, but it is definitley him. Also, check the puppetry, it's very Jerry-esque.

Splurge

Reaction score
Ryan said:
Yes, I am 100% positive it's Jerry. It is a bit of a different voice, but it is definitley him. Also, check the puppetry, it's very Jerry-esque.
Upon looking at the statue dancing, I could see that as being Jerry now.

It is becoming clearer. It must have been fun for him to play Ernie, or even an emulation of Ernie, even for a little while. I don't know if Jerry reads these posts, but it would be interesting to know how enjoyed moments like that.

Squigiman

Reaction score
Wow, that's crazy! I wonder what it is about the puppetry that makes it seem so noticeably him. I tend to be great with recognizing voices, but I'm not as obsessive as some of the fans on this page, and have not developed a recognition of certain styles. Plus, there really is no sign of a Jerry voice in there. As to finding out what is like for him to do, I'd also be interesting if he knows and how he feels about it being one of the classic scariest Muppet things ever, or perhaps even the scariest thing for a child, at all, as indicated here: http://www.robotjohnny.com/archives/000180.html. With the others on there, it sure says a lot. My brother actually first found it, and he has a post on it about me. Seriously, I don't know how to take knowing I met the man behind the voice and puppeteering of the thing that haunted me, with constant nightmares, amongst other things, for over fourteen years. Thanks for the help. Take care.

-Squigiman

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dave Golez also performed "Mr. Between" from a song on Sesame. It can be found on "Sing yourself sillier at the movies"