We Need a Sesame Street/Muppet Channel!

hitmansb

Reaction score
I've seen crazier themed channels on satellite. With the number of hours of footage from the beginning of Sesame til the early nineties alone, combined with muppet shows, there's enought content there. I hate the new sesame, with the exception of "Journey to Ernie", and pray that something like that will be around for my kids when I have them.

ssetta

Reaction score
Something like that has been mentioned many times before! I would LOVE for that to happen? Is there a petition up for it anywhere?

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Just a thought...

This is a really good idea. The problem wouldn't be having enough content to fill the channel but in finding a large enough audience to justify the cost of the channel. Yeah, there's a lot of Muppet/SS fans out there but how many would really watch on a consistent basis?

However, what if the Henson channel was combined with other properties that have disappeared from American TV? For example, there's people who would love to watch old 1980s Nick shows like Pinwheel and You Can't Do That on Television. Or, what about a show like Pee Wee's Playhouse? All of these shows have nostalgic value or cult followings, so maybe the combined fanbases would be enough to support such a channel.

Of course, an all-Henson channel would be even better but I would definitely take this over not having SS, TMS, and Muppet Babies on TV at all.

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
hitmansb said:
I hate the new sesame, with the exception of "Journey to Ernie", and pray that something like that will be around for my kids when I have them.
I have a 2-year-old daughter that, believe it or not, learns letters and numbers faster while watching the vintage Sesame's than the new stuff. Mentioning the number and letter of the day just once is not what Sesame is all about. They used to be scattered all over the hour (harder to do now, when the last 20 minutes is Elmo's World) and there were a couple of letters AND numbers. I'm glad I'm starting to get them on tape and VCD, for myself as a collector and a parent, and for her needs, which seem to be filled much easier than watching "Global Thingy" whatever that means.

prickle747

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:
I have a 2-year-old daughter that, believe it or not, learns letters and numbers faster while watching the vintage Sesame's than the new stuff. Mentioning the number and letter of the day just once is not what Sesame is all about. They used to be scattered all over the hour (harder to do now, when the last 20 minutes is Elmo's World) and there were a couple of letters AND numbers. I'm glad I'm starting to get them on tape and VCD, for myself as a collector and a parent, and for her needs, which seem to be filled much easier than watching "Global Thingy" whatever that means.

i love the idea of a special channel......there is so many silly unwatched and or unnecessary sat. channels out there,this channel is an EXCELLENT choice for educational and entertainment purposes..............this should happen..........SOON :smile:

Smy Guiely........ small world we are from the same parts :smile:

ssetta

Reaction score
If there was a satellite channel like this, I would switch to satellite in an instant!

Frazzle

Reaction score
*I have posted this elsewhere in the forum once before, but I'll post it here again to make things easier. Also, if someone could get a petition going, I'll gladly sign it.

SS will ALWAYS be around. There is alot of money & cultural influence tied into it. It's an icon in children's (& adults) television programming. Think about it, SS merchandise, Sesame Place, Sesame Live. The show will always be around. The question is:

WHERE?

PBS will show the new seasons as long as they continue to be made. Seems that the old archive of favorites are going to go underground again though, unless someone is willing to invest in a possible all Muppet/CTW/Sesame sort of project. I think a television channel would be a worthwhile investment & it would please fans of all tastes in SS, Fraggle Rock, MS, PWMS, Unpaved & yes even Elmo's World. I mean, I'm sure there is plenty of old stuff in the archives, so it's not like extra money is needed right away to sink into new productions & shows. (unless Elmo's World is spun off as its own show) It's all about who owns the rights to the materials & so on. Produce a channel, give the trusted old goodies a test run & see how well it does. I'm wondering if we can get enough requests together & draw enough attention to this potential idea. Perhaps if enough voices are heard, someone may take interest in this budding idea. Just think of the marketing strategy. Making it accessible, makes it soar in popularity again, thus more memorabilia, collectibles, toys, movies, new shows, tickets sold to Sesame Place, Sesame Live, more audience expansion... It can all snowball into great things from there. Anyone have any opinions?