Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

jvcarroll

Reaction score
TMNT is apparently going to be a hit and Guardians is falling more than 60%. I don't get it.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
TMNT is apparently going to be a hit and Guardians is falling more than 60%. I don't get it.
It's because unlike Guardians of the Galaxy, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has a huge following with both kids and adults. As I said, it could overthrow SpongeBob as Nick's most popular show, and due to the popularity of Turtles, the movie possibly won't do as well, especially since a lot of competing kids movies are coming out the weeks after it comes out, including Disney's Cinderella and Dreamworks' Home.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It's because unlike Guardians of the Galaxy, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has a huge following with both kids and adults. As I said, it could overthrow SpongeBob as Nick's most popular show, and due to the popularity of Turtles, the movie possibly won't do as well, especially since a lot of competing kids movies are coming out the weeks after it comes out, including Disney's Cinderella and Dreamworks' Home.
You must separate the movie Turtles from the current Nick Turtles from the classic Turtles or else some fans are gonna come down on ya with the wrath of Shredder. :eek:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Three things.

TMNT is an established brand with well known characters, not to mention how aggressively Paramount/Nickelodeon marketed the film, especially on their networks. They went as far as pulling new episodes of the cartoon series just to give more publicity to the film (which frankly makes no sense, but they've been airing the heck out of the cartoon on Nicktoons). There was even a "behind the scenes" type special. Haven't seen one of those since Disney did that in the 90's.

YET, the prediction is a modest 60-65 mil. GOTG had an unprecidented 94 million opening in the weakest of weak movie months. They would have been happy with the same 60 million and called it a success anyway. There's a sequel already confirmed, a cartoon series, and Rocket Raccoon comics have been doing well for Marvel in the past few months. GOTG had it's successful weekend, and it stinks that it's dropping but... here's the third thing...

Four movies came out directly after GOTG, turtles being one of them. That's some fierce competition as far as blockbusters go. TMNT would have topped anyway (again, brand). Then there's that lame disaster movie, that fever dream dance movie, and some British and Indian love story art thing that no one was going to watch anyway (unless it gets an Oscar Nom). Had their been a week inbetween GOTG and TMNT, I'm sure GOTG would have done some more business, but not much. This is after all August, when the best you can get is a sleeper hit of a low budget movie.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
I'm thinking... With TMNT proably going to make more overseas than GOTG, and will still make money here, TMNT could get a sequel too. What do you guys think?

Drtooth

Reaction score
TMNT will no doubt make money overseas as it's a bigger brand. And, like Transformers films, the explosions and action are easier to translate. Still, I see TMNT barely turning a profit, at least over here.

We still have Sin City 2 and Expendables 3 to contend with.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
TMNT will no doubt make money overseas as it's a bigger brand. And, like Transformers films, the explosions and action are easier to translate. Still, I see TMNT barely turning a profit, at least over here.

We still have Sin City 2 and Expendables 3 to contend with.
1. It is on track for a $60 Million opening. 2. Expendables 3 won't be competitive enough the 2nd one made less than the first one. This one will likely drop again. 3. Sin City was made 9 years ago, and not dropping off will be a surprise. 4. TMNT will also make money due to that it attracts a wide audience.

Drtooth

Reaction score
TMNT made significantly less (even counting the international) than Guardians did, despite the fact that one's an obscure 1970's comic that doesn't even have the original line up of characters and one's a trusted brand with 3 cartoon series, 4 movies, that live action thing, several comic books, and countless action figures. Good for August, but over the Guardians' 150 mil international opening, their 97 mil (just slightly higher than GOTG's domestic all together) not as impressive. However, that's not stopping them from announcing a sequel

"Exceeded expectations," huh? Something tells me they didn't have the biggest faith in this film, despite the franchise being back. And I mean back compared to the 2k3 revival which was popular, but not as huge as it was originally (and some of that was 4Kids being generous as it was their big hit at the time). Then again, the last 4 TMNT movies were low budget. Don't know how many made money (presumably the third one didn't) and even then, the fourth one just barely.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well, I saw the Turtles and here are my thoughts...

This serviceable reboot lifts its relentless action sequences from the Transformers pictures and some of the humor from the original 80's film efforts yet manages to leave an aftertaste of "so what?". The CG renditions are alright, except for the mistake of swapping out their classic snouts for creepy noses, and the voice artistry helps a bit. I just can't help but think there's a better story to be told than this bland and predictable fight fest for modern kids who don't know a Ninja Turtle from a Snork. 2.5 / 5 Stars