Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Prediction: Big Hero 6 will win the weekend

Pixar who? Disney's latest leap forward proves that animation is alive and kicking at the Mouse House (even though the story could have used a little more depth). I hope they continue to bring Marvel toons of this caliber to the screen and I can't wait to see what's next.

4/5 Stars (and one "hairy baby")

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd love to see them make some animated Marvel movies that aren't DTV. But such as the case, this was always going to be handled as a separate thing from Marvel. I really wish Disney revealed plans for future non-Pixar films. They've really come into their own after Chicken Little. Though I wouldn't count out Pixar's control of Disney animation for that one.

Still crossed fingers for Wreck-it Ralph 2.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well Jamie, you were right. Big Hero 6 won the weekend (estimates as of Saturday night)

http://pro.boxoffice.com/statistics/bo_numbers/early_estimate/2014-11-08
Mojo had Interstellar leading this morning. I'm glad that Hero's back on top.

So, next up for Disney/Pixar is Inside Out. The ads seem to lean on Pixar's legacy rather than the film's premise so my confidence isn't really high. The Good Dinosaur will follow. Even though it's had some story issues, I'm intrigued. This could be another Ratatouille sort of film that gets saved half way through. Then in 2006 will bring Disney's next offering, Zootopia. I'm curious about that one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Inside Out thing looks like one of their teasers. Wonder why they didn't just make a short film like they usually do. It has potential to be sure. I'm much less confident in Good Dinosaur. It's probably best it kept its distance from the other Dinosaur themed movies. That cheap cash in Walking with Dinosaurs with crappy dialogue added last minute is thankfully out of everyone's minds. And hopefully it won't share too much of a common time between Jurassic Park 4. Seems there's a lot of interest in dinosaurs lately.

I'm very pumped to see Big Hero 6 today. But I just can't also help finally feeling excited by the Penguins of Madagascar movie. I'm a huge fan of those guys, and I loved their moments in the original movies and their television series. Not quite as excited as I am for Hero, but I'm really feeling the Penguin film now. Seems like they just dumped it in last minute, though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Great that Big Hero 6 won the weekend. Too bad it couldn't have beaten Frozen's opening, though. Not to mention competition from Interstellar. This movie was excellent and really should have opened to Marvel Movie money, mainly because...

Who would have thought Marvel's two best movies would have been based on the most obscure, quirky titles? Talk about your ensemble darkhorses. GOTG and BH6 were the most memorable, fun, action packed of the Marvel films this year (and yes, Captain America was great too). And while Disney isn't marketing BH6 as a Marvel film, it really is (for a VERY spoilery reason I won't divulge).

Baymax and Groot shall be the characters of legend this year. Both completely unheard of until their films, now "I am Groot" and "Haiiiirrrrryyy Baby!" are memetic. I hope Disney plans to keep BH6 a franchise like it's already done with GOTG (they're getting a cartoon, and BH6 should get one as well). It probably won't make Frozen money... but really... Frozen Who? This was the best animated film of the year. Even better than Lego. And Lego was Lego! Hairy Baby, indeed!