Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I'm definitely excited for the new team. I actually think it's going to be even more interesting than the other group.

We've got the newest additions like Scarlett Witch, Vision, Wasp, Spiderman and Ant Man. I wouldn't be surprised if Falcon continued to appear for a while. Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, Black Panther are all getting movies pretty soon. Plus The Guardians of the Galaxy characters are supposedly showing up in the next Avengers film.

I'm really glad some of the lessor known super heroes are finally getting a chance to shine.

My only regret is that we never got that Black Widow solo movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea why this was released theatrically. There's no excuse for this one, and not even Lionsgate being Lionsgate. They didn't even bother shoving name celebrities in there, not even really popular voice actors. Only one in the cast list I recognized is Yuri Lowenthal. Watched the Midnight Screening review and the only positive thing they could say about the movie was that it didn't feature fart or peeing jokes and didn't end with a dance party. Just...this is one of those things international companies make for themselves so they have their own products in a sea of American produced animated features by big names. This was a 3-D release in its European run. I'm just completely dumbfounded by this existing.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Yuri Lowenthal seems to be the go-to for dirt cheap productions, as he's in everything from RWBY to Dino Time. I think he's non-union.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Was anyone really asking for a third Bridget Jones movie, let alone a second? The last had the lowest gross, so I'm guessing no.
Bridget Jones come from the 90's school of condescending, patronizing chick flicks back when the formula of "women who have careers aren't fulfilled unless they get with a hottie" wasn't laughed out of the boardrooms where these things are conceived. With the exception of the Hallmark Channel, of course.

We're in a post-Bridesmaids world. Chick Flicks are completely different now. Heck, if a female character in a comic book movie isn't written perfectly to snuff, there's cried of misogyny. How come more people raised pitchforks and torches for their own personal misinterpretation of Black Widow, but Bridget Jones getting a movie 20 year after the charm was long gone doesn't even elicit a fart noise?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
The new Smurfs movie teaser trailer is out. Obviously it's too early to speculate on the quality of the film, but I will say I really love the art style they're going with:

Last edited: