Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Star Wars is not only an example... when Lucas stopped getting influence from Westerns and Samurai films, the series went to pot (though I did really dig episode 2 and especially 3). Heck, even beyond that. Star Wars was almost a Flash Gordon movie, and some of the artifacts of Flash Gordon serials remained in the final project.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Heck, even beyond that. Star Wars was almost a Flash Gordon movie, and some of the artifacts of Flash Gordon serials remained in the final project.
Wasn't it almost a Star Trek movie as well?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. he tried to get the rights to it or something? Maybe it went Star Trek, Flash Gordon, and ultimately Star Wars. They have a comic book release of the original version of the movie... I'm staying the shell away from it.

On that note... GAH! I can't believe they're making another Dumb and Dumber. Amazingly, this is the film that got Jim Carrey to actually do a sequel, his first since Ace Ventura 2. But really... I thought out of the original three Carrey movies (Mask and Ace Ventura being the other two), D&D was the weakest one... even when it got a cartoon series, it just wasn't as fun as the other two. But then again, I never liked the Farrley Brothers, and I find their best film to be Osmosis Jones, and only for the animated portions.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay... Live action Maleficient, Live action Cinderella...

Now Cruella De Vil is getting her own movie which should hopefully be better than the last 2 live action abominations.

Personally, I wish Disney would make a film about my favorite Disney Villainess, Yzma. Too bad Disney HATES to acknowledge that Emperor's New Groove exists.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This'll probably make James happy.

I'm seeing far more trailers on television for every movie opening November 1st (there are a lot of them) than Ender's Game. In fact, I rarely even see TV Spots for it. Hopefully, that's a good sign.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Has anyone seen Gravity? Let me just say, I never wanted to go into space in the first place, but this just seals the deal. :concern:

This was a really good movie. I felt like I was on an emotional roller coaster. First you get really anxious, then sad, then anxious again, then sad, then it all wraps up with the hope of the woman's survival.

But seriously, I'm not going into space. Ever.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Spoke too soon... saw a trailer for it.

And I'm not saying this passive aggressively... it looks awful. Even if the writer was a sane, rational human being, the dang film looks awful. Hopefully Thor will put it in its place.

And really... Why the heck are there like so many movies coming out in a 2 week November slot. I think we got 5 movies the entire September and October.