1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Weekly Box Office & Film Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jvcarroll, May 20, 2012.

1. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

Probably not. Disney most likely has only a copyright to their movie adaption. Snow White is a really old Brothers Grimm story that probably has lost its copyright years and years ago, so I think its open to anyone to do an adaptation.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'll take your word for it. It probably comes off better than it looks.

Still, I'm not so much a fan of these Twilightified Fairy Tales, since we just got over everyone and their mother doing lame Shrek knockoff parodies of Fairy Tales. I like Grimm, though.

Mirror Mirror still pails in comparison. THIS movie broke Filmation. And right after they did that great Bravestarr cartoon, too.
  3. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

The only thing Twilighted was one of the stars. Otherwise that had nothing to do with the film. If anything it was Wonderlanded. ;)
    Beauregard likes this.
  4. Drtooth

Ah. So said star from that film wasn't too terrible, was she? I dunno... that Little Red Riding Hood movie looked too ridiculous and flopped. I guess they found the right balance with this one.

Not that I'm going to see it anyway. I'd rather go to the Afro Circus. yeah.. that's been lodged in my mind for the past month, and I'm far too pumped up to see Madagascar 3 than any sane, rational person could.
  5. jvcarroll

Sure, there are reasons to dislike the recent Snow White movie but none of those are things you've cited. It was actually closer to Game of Thrones than Red Riding Hood. I'm not trying to praise the film or convince you to see it, but I really don't like to perpetuate a falsehood. Snow White has been successful due to the marketing campaign, audience familiarity with the subject matter and spirited word of mouth last Friday night. Red Riding Hood fizzled because of bad word of mouth, deviating too far from the premise and not offering much substance in the advertising campaign. It was a laughably bad movie.

Madagascar 3 has been receiving impressive reviews. It appears that good writing has taken prescience over the assumption that just because something is in CG3D that it will make money. Let's hope this trend continues.

I finally saw MIB 3 last night and it was fun. Much better than the second installment. It did have a feeling of being reshaped from the original premise. Maybe I'm projecting what we already know onto the finished piece. Definitely worth seeing. The film that was doomed to fail due to production issues will actually be a hit. There actually seemed to be a good reason for this sequel rather than the last one.
  6. Drtooth

The second one was pretty good, but it was missing something intangible from the first one that I still can't put my finger on. I did like the concepts of Marty losing his individuality when he finally got the family he wanted, and Alex in a weird version of The Lion King where he's a disappointment.

Though I've often said, I'm completely mystified by the Madagascar franchise. I have absolutely no idea why I like it, but I do. I found the cartoon spinoff about the Penguins insanely addictive. Somehow, I like this franchise better than Shrek. I almost thought about skipping #3 due to the circus premise and the fact they want to do four and make that one the one that they actually get home... but the previews for the movie have been irresistible for me.

I dunno,... Maybe I like Ben Stiller and Chris Rock in a movie together?

Like I said before... MIB2 tried too hard to be the last movie, somewhat like the cartoon series (the aliens races looked like they came directly out of episodes of the cartoon series, as did some of their names), and it didn't want to be its own thing. plus, there was something they did to the worms and Frank the pug that I didn't much like (again, finding the animated series versions of them superior, so I have that biased). MIB 3 learned its lesson. It didn't remake the first one with a different setting, it didn't need to copy the big reveal ending of the first movie, and all that time spent retooling the movie actually worked. That's rare.

Plus, it didn't need to work the appearances can be deceiving angle extremely hard this time. The jokes that did focus on those were actually well done. Especially the Andy Warhol reveal.
  7. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

Oh, and don't forget David Schwimmer! But all joking aside, I think Madagascar 3'll do well. It looks very great, both animation and plot. Though, I just can't get over that they're advertising the heck out of the Circus Afro song. It's lost its flair even after just being seen in trailers.
  8. Drtooth

Madagascar 3 is the first of the summer's PG rated family/kid's movies. Those are usually prone to do well, especially when there's no competition. While there were no doubt kids were prone to seeing Avengers and Men in Black 3, there's nothing specifically for a younger audience that wouldn't be able to sit through either. It's strange that Dreamworks waited until June to release their first movie. They usually get the jump by releasing their movie in May, so as not to directly conflict with Pixar's usual late-mid-June release.
  9. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

The next one I'm looking forward is Brave. I love the Pixars. :)
  10. Drtooth

Brave and Madagascar are both going to be in direct competition with each other in a couple weeks. That's going to be interesting. And like I said, there seems to be no other kids movies until Ice Age 4, Frankenweine, and Paranorman in July and August. I'm really surprised I haven't heard of some low budget, live action, based of a book, completely ruined by Walden media thing coming up. Or worse... the garish talking animal movie. I'm sure there is one, but I haven't seen it yet.
  11. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Saw Promethius. Strange movie, but still good. Some of the plot didn't make complete sense, and I think the movie was trying to make a large point about a balance between science and faith that went over my head. However, the effects were great and all the actors did a really good job, especially Michael Fassbender.
    jvcarroll likes this.
  12. Drtooth

At the risk of ticking off Prometheus fans, here's the weekend box office news...

DA DA dadadada da da Circus

That's the power of the first family film of the season. It exceeded box office predictions that it would open third under Prometheus and Snow White. Saturday and Sunday were very kind to Madagascar. It makes you think how well it's going to do in between the time kids get out of school and Brave gets released.
  13. Drtooth

HEH! Madagascar strikes again. Prometheus is still strong at number 2, and Rock of Ages came in third.

Seriously... being the only kid friendly movie out there really helped Madagascar out. Brave comes out this week, so that's going to be an interesting competition. Dreamworks and Pixar haven't been in this strong a competition for some time.
  14. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

My brother asked me this weekend if I knew any good movies being played now. At first I said, I know next week with Brave. But for now, I suggested Rock of Ages. That one seem interesting for something now.

He ended up seeing the Adam Sandler movie, "That's My Boy".
  15. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

Just thought I would ask. Is anyone here looking forward to seeing "Ted"?
  16. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

No, I was complaining about that movie in another thread :p
  17. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Delayed comment on Snow White: There were many things that I didn't get, and I was distracted by Bella and Thor (because I spend WAY too much time at Meme base), but thought the Evil Queen was magnificent and that the story itself, the way it was told, and the adjustments made were fine (and I'm usually REALLY defensive of stuff.)

I certainly didn't feel it was the "definitive" telling of Snow White (the way I felt about the new Robin Hood being the "true" story of him) but it wasn't half bad. I did NOT get the bit with all the fairies though...

Also, interesting to say it was Wonderlanded when Wonderland was clearly Narniafied.
    jvcarroll likes this.
  18. jvcarroll

Early buzz indicates "Brave" will fizzle with traditional Pixar auds. The marketing has hidden the fact that it's actually a mother-daughter story due to fear of turning away male viewers and apparently its two directors worked sequentially rather than together. It reportedly cost more than "Cars 2" which didn't gain back it's $200M investment at the domestic box office. That's fine for a toy-centered venture, but there's not as much merchandise potential here to make up for lagging box office sales. Maybe there will be a demand for this anti-princess protagonist. Thoughts?
  19. Bannanasketch

Bannanasketch Active Member

I could care less about the Mother-Daughter story. This is still a Pixar film which *usually* fantastic. This movie looks fantastic! It may not be the best Pixar film around but it'll suffice until Monster's University comes out. :)
  20. Drtooth

I'm going to give Seth his due here. I'll try to see it. He's pretty much shackled to a certain cartoon series (AD he pretty much just does voices for, CS he pretty much has disappeared from while Ted was in production). He actually expressed interest in ending Family Guy, but Fox won't have any of that. I think he really wants to move on, and this movie will gauge how he'd fare in other venues. I deep down think he wants to end FG and focus on the new Flintstones series that keeps getting pushed back.

That's partially what harmed "Tangled." Like I always said, Disney took flack for doing princess movies, and they took flack for NOT doing princess movies. This is Pixar's first Princess movie, and one of their few human-centric movies. Still, I think there should be enough world wide Pixar enthusiasts who will see ANYTHING they do. It's that core audience of casuals that will have a harder time with this film. Plus, people really aren't going to the movies like they used to.

Still, Cars 2 was an idea that seemed solid at the time. The over-saturation of the product hurt the movie quite a bit. On the plus side, it's nice to see a Pixar film and not be bawling after it. But even then, the merchandise didn't really seem to sell as well as the previous film (but then again, the die cast cars sold out and were out of stock for a solid 3 week period when the movie came out). The Saturday Morning cartoon of a plot might have turned a lot of potential film goers away.

Brave does have merchandise, but it's strictly regulated to fashion dolls. They're slightly easier to find than any Tangled merchandise (which really only seemed to multiply after the movie came out)... but that doesn't guarantee a sell. Of course, the movie didn't come out yet... so all eyes are on how well the movie is going to do and how well those dolls are going to sell.