Wegman Dogs

CookieFan

Reaction score
OK, so now I'm curious about the Wegman dog clips. What years were they done? They're so strange, I love them!

What are some of the clips?

Off the top of my head:

6 dogs in a canoe
Dogs build a #1

I know there's tons more, but it's late and my brain isn't working.....

Hays

Reaction score
Got to say, I liked the idea when they were first out, (when they were just stills) but now they just kind of creep me out. The voice they use is SOOO deadpan. There is an entire video of just him and the dogs doing Mother Goose.

This season there were a bunch that came on JTE:

Eye Doctor (with a little pug or maybe Boston terrier)
To Market, to market
#8 (those, where they're just dogs, I like)
In/out of the canoe
Front/Back of theatre seats
Mechanic
In/out of the pool
Ten O'Clock Scholar
Running across a field

That's all I can remember for now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am so glad SOMEONE knows who they are. Personally, the Wegman dogs are my fave NON_Muppet segment of the show. I have seen really early William Wegman videos (before he even used dogs) and I must say... PeeWee Herman ain't got nothin' on this guy. It was so... so off the wall. I can't even describe any of it... it was soo.... sooooo experimental. As a semi-artist (a cartoonist anyway) I always love to see experimental works. I am just sad that Jim died before him and Wegman could hook up and make another experimental piece, like Time piece or something.

CookieFan

Reaction score
I didn't know Wegman had his own videos. I only knew his work from the still dog photos. I bet they're really weird. I'll have to try and track some down.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, i saw it back in 1999 when I had a Mass Art (not the school I attend) summer school College preparment class. Man, I had fun there...

Anyway, his stuff was black and white, and he didn't use his dogs until much later....but not like that.

The first one that I can remember, he removed his shirt and inhaled and exhailed while whistling and humming, to make it look like his stomache was singing. FOR THREE MINUTES!!!

He first used his dogs, like this: He found a way to make his dog growl while he was on camera, in a close up, so it looked like HE was growling!

He used his dogs full time (but not with human bodies) in a baseball game (first one with color)

It was similar but different to his work now. He did narrate it in his monotone voice.

Of course, that was years ago, and I forgot some detailes.:big_grin:

Saginaw

Reaction score
By the way, just how many William Wegman/weimaraners clips were produced for Sesame Street?

Like Hays, I have a neighbor who has seen these clips as well and he shares that same creepy feeling about them, but only if human hands and/or feet are used as the canines' appendages, and he's a dog owner!

--Saginaw the Sleepy :sleep: