weird alien shape

BorkBork

Reaction score
Okay, as i said before, i tried to make a replica of bunsen honeydew. you know, this guy here :confused: hehehe

But i didn't really nail the pattern...it turned out as some weird alien instead, and i am going to make a really cool alien out of it haha...

Anyway, i'm asking for help here because i'm kinda stuck...how should i make the patter so it gets round as a ball??? i thought my pattern provided all that i needed, but no...take a look at my pics

Pattern

Head1

Head2

Okay, so what should i do, any ideas???

Thanks

Anders

BorkBork

Reaction score
even if he's carved, wouldn't it be possible to make him from a pattern?

Yeah i was thinking of eyes that come out from the head like two horns that the eyes are attached to... i think it will be a cool alien too :smile: i'll have to get some green dye for my antron fleece hehe :smile:

/Anders

puppets_etc

Reaction score
Hiya, it's been a while since I posted, been busy. Sorry. :embarrassed:

Anywho, what if you got one of those big bouncy balls kids play with, deflate it, and use it as a pattern? I've done stranger things to get the shape I want. This may actually work. :excited:

*scratches head*

Now why didn't I think of that before when I needed a round head:confused:

Deb:flirt:

BorkBork

Reaction score
hmmm...but when deflating a ball, it would still be round, wouldn't it? i know it will not do just to have a circle as a pattern, sure it would get round, but only on the side, from the front it would be flat...hmmm, this puzzles me:eek:

puppets_etc

Reaction score
It's still round, just no air. Cut it to use it as a pattern. If I had some more time, I'd cut one up myself and take pictures to show you. Give it a try, if it doesn't work, the world will be short one bouncy ball.:wink:

Deb:flirt:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Heh heh...they don't teach you everything in the foam book, eh? :zany:

I have no idea how Bunsen is constructed, but to make a perfectly round ball in foam you need to cut eight "wedges" that are exactly (and I do mean exactly) the same size. By a wedge I mean a shape like what you would get if you cut an orange in to eight perfectly even pieces.

The ratio (length:width) of the wedges for a ball should be 4:1 (that is the wedge is four times longer than it is wide). The ratio can vary depending on the thickness of the foam you are using and the density (I usually like a 3/4" foam that is a medium density, but it depends on the project).

The edges have to be contact cemented together (two at a time). You can then cut holes out or add facial features as needed. Sorry I don't have a picture of what this looks like to better illustrate this concept, but I hope this helps!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
BTW - Yes, using a Nerf (foam) ball if you can find one the right size is usually easier than making one out of foam sheets, but you'll have to carve out the innards. Toys R Us periodically carries them in Canada and the U.S. - I am not sure if they are available to order online.

BorkBork

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Buck. I have somehow misplaced my foambook...:cry:

I think i know what you mean. I'll try that. I usually have 2 cm foam, as inches are not a standard measurement in sweden. I also found that 1 cm thick foam is usefull for some things, as for making a gonzo, his nose works best with thinner foam :smile:

/Anders

BorkBork

Reaction score
I don't think i'd want to use readily made balls as heads, for it holds my creativity back :smile:

I find it more fun making it from scratch :smile:

/Anders