Weird Wrist Sounds

RomanaFraggle

Reaction score
I've been thinking about puppeteering for a while now.. I see the magic in it (if that makes sense..) and Jim Henson is a huge inspiration to me.

One thing that has been bothering me, though, is my wrist. It's never really been right, but now whenever I rotate it, it makes clicking sounds. It doesn't exactly hurt, but it's weird. If something's wrong with it, should I give up puppeteering before I really start and try to do something else? :confused:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Usually when a joint does that it's because a tendon or ligament is moving, gas is being released from your synovial fluid (basically the lubricant in your wrist) or you have Arthritis. I am not a doctor, but as I understand it, in the case of the first two if you have no pain or discomfort it's fairly normal especially as you get in to your 40s and 50s. Arthritis might be a different story.

If you have cracking/popping joints I've heard that a really good way to address them is to try Yoga.

Puppetry shouldn't cause you strain or lasting pain. Sometimes muscles will become sore if you do not have a lot of strength or muscle endurance, but that's it. I have heard of puppeteers getting injured, but it's usually because of a poorly designed puppet, improper technique or because you're not warming up/stretching/conditioning their body properly.

RomanaFraggle

Reaction score
Good news! Thank you so much!

Although.. since I'm 16, I really don't think I have arthritis :big_grin: