Were SS albums ever released on 1/4" tape?

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Zet said:
I did read a post from a guy that was involved in the industry back then, and he said you should get results when doing the opposite - playing dolby surround stuff through a quad synthesizer - so it's worth a try.:wink: All of the formats use a form of phasing, if I'm not mistaken.

Re: vinyl and discreet tape, there were sometimes releases on just one or the other. In fact, it's a good idea to research a bit before you buy. There were even some 8-tracks that were just recordings of the decoded SQ (not really discreet).
Luckily we have digital now...the low price of DVD and players will hopefully help promote surround sound for music.
-Zet
Reversing the process...interesting! Yes, SQ is just a phase effect, so any processing should get results, of mixed variety I'm sure.

I have read that some quad8's were kind of ripoff's since they weren't discrete mixes. You definitely have to be careful when buying. You could have saved money if they just released them on a stereo 8 and labeled them SQ.

I've been selling consumer electronics for a few years now and the demand for DVD audio and Sony's SACD are extremely low. Once I explain the concept to people they seem like they think it's a good idea but nobody pops for the extra hundred bucks for the player. Too bad, as the amount of software is growing.

eric

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Zet said:
:smile:
Re: software on Ebay...I dunno, you should check out some of the rarer auctions...definitely out of my range, anyway. And quad reels? Triple digits for the decent ones :stick_out_tongue:

-Zet
Depends on what you're looking for I guess. I know that most of what I want on Quad 8 is reasonably priced (Guess Who, BTO, Paul Simon, etc.) but a couple that I'd LOVE to have always go WAY too high, like Wings' BAND ON THE RUN, and the always-in-demand Sabbath's PARANOID. Those would be great, but there seem to be so few left that collectors just leap on them and dig their teeth in before anyone can get a bid in!

eric

pollick529

Reaction score
Well, 1/4" tape reels have been around in the 60s and 70s, but pre-recorded 1/4" reels can be EXTREMELY rare. Who knows if Sesame Street albums were released on these reels. I don't have any pre-recorded reels myself. I can't even get my reel-to-reel to work. it never worked when I got it from the Flea Market. :sympathy: I've been trying to find one, but had no luck. Maybe if I get one, I can try trading SS albums on these reels (if you still have one). I'll find out. Thanx! :smile:

prickle747

Reaction score
i own a reel to reel machine as well purchased from a flea market,needs work on.My sister has our dad's original 1/4 machine (from the 50's) which i must say is still working today very well.

i think because the reel to reel era did fade for the start of sesame street,it was just the timing of it all.what i mean if the street was possibly out 5-10 years earlier for sure 1/4 tapes would been produced however very rare.Can you imagine sesame street show episodes actually starting out in let's say 1958..........wow that would be quite the footage !!! :smile: