Were there two different versions of Big Bird Sings?

MJTaylor

Reaction score
It would seem to me as though there are.
I have seen a few Sesame Street discrographies on the net and according to all of them The J Song and Everyone Likes Ice Cream were included. But I have that record and my copy does not have either of those, replacing them with Love Is a Really Good Feeling To Have and I Just Adore Four. So can anyone explain?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is interesting. I have most all of the Sesame records and am familiar with many of the reissues and changes over the years. This is the first time I've heard of a different version of Big Bird Sings being released though. There are a couple other albums (like "Ernie's Hits" where a song was later replaced).

Big Bird Sings was originally released in 1974. The songs "A Really Good Feeling" was originally released on the 1975's "Bert and Ernie's Sing-along" and "I Just Adore Four" on 1975's "The Count's Countdown."

Tell me more about this. Is this the LP or cassette you have? What is the copyright on it? Does it say reissue anywhere? (Usually on the LP's "reissue" is on the cover somewhere in small type?) Also, is the cover of Big Bird's head against a pink background or is it something different?

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I have the record version of Big Bird Sings and it says copyright 1974, but nothing is said about it being a re-issue. Also, the cover is just as you described it. Maybe the changes were just for Australia.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
One other thing. I also have "Ernie's Hits". Which song was replaced?

MJTaylor

Reaction score
My copy has The Wrong Patient. So what did the reissue have in its place?

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Okay, don't answer that one. I just found out for myself at Muppet Wiki that the reissue had a Spanish version of Rubbie Duckie.
Here's something else I saw at Muppet Wiki: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Bird_Sings!_(album)
Their entry for Big Bird Sings lists The J Song and Everyone Likes Ice Cream, but there is a picture of the 8 track version and apart from having the songs in a different order (as was typical of 8 tracks) it also has the two songs on my record copy. It seems there were 3 versions of Big Bird Sings!
BTW, on a personal note, I like my version better as Big Bird was not excatly on Everyone Likes Ice Cream even though Carroll Spinney was.