What Animals are the Muppets?

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
Rowlf: Most of the time when a cartoon dog does not seem to be of an obvious breed, people simply beleave him to be a mut. I think this could aply to Old Brown Ears.

Gonzo: I also would prefer he remain a 'whatever', but I can get used to him being an alien if I have to.

Beauregaurd: I refuse to beleave that he is supposed to be some kind of characture of African-Americans. If you look closely, you will see that he is just as furry as any of the Muppet animals. I still think he might be a mole.

Animal: No one really knows for sure. Some say 'monster'. Some say 'very hairy humanoid' (this is the group I belong to). Some just say 'drummer'.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Animal: No one really knows for sure. Some say 'monster'. Some say 'very hairy humanoid' (this is the group I belong to). Some just say 'drummer'.
I prefer 'missing link.' :big_grin: :wink:

-Kim

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
Actually, it was 1946. :wink:
LoL....I think I have met my match when it comes to useless Disney info-sponges. I had no idea though By, you never mentioned your Disney obsession...but then again I guess I never did either though. But I mean...I write reports about my trips to Disney. How fanatic is that? :smile: We should throw questions at eachother man, see how much we really know. :big_grin:

-Matt

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's what I think

Gonzo could be either a Frackle, a Whatever, or an Alien, depending on what you beleive.

Animal is a wildman, sort of the Missing Link if you will. Probably grew up in the jungle rasied by wild apes.

Scooter (dispite the theory that he's part parrot, and doesn't know about dad, it was durring the war) is an abstract human, like Ernie, Bert, The Electric mayheim to name a few.

Beaureguard is British (How come you don't have an accent? I'm lucky to have a driver's licence) say what you will, I just like that line. I'd swear he was some sort of Bearlike creature, maybe some sort of halfbreed of Mole and bear.

Big Bird WAS envisioned as a giant canary, though Oscar referrs to him as a Turkey.

Lorde Pompeo

Reaction score
Why do some of you guys have a problem in admiting that Gonzo is an Alien?

I really don't get it... I think it gives even more personality to the character - NOW we know why he was always so weird! Gonzo never cared about what he was, but I think that it was about time he asked that same question...

Is the character less magical, less weird and less Gonzoish because he has finally discovered his own species? I don't think so and I can't understand why some people have difficult in believing in it!

Not wanting to believe that Gonzo is an alien is the same as not wanting to believe that Hagrid (from Harry Potter) is half giant - what I mean is that it is a given fact, there was a movie about it! Crossing your arms, twisting your face and shouting "I don't believe Gonzo is an alien" like a stubborn child won't do any good...

He is an alien and that is a good thing!

Maybe you are just facing the discovery of Gonzo's past as the final proof that this «New Phase» or «Second Generation» of Muppets has come to stay and so the «Old Spirit» will die... It doesn't have to be like that... When a new brother is born, you might feel that no one will pay attention to you anymore, but that (as you all know) is not true...

Maybe I am just wrong but accepting Gonzo as an alien (even if it means to you that a new phase of Muppet History as completely arrived) doesn't ruin the character nor the spirit of the group...

If I am wrong, go ahead and ignore, or explain why is it that you have such issues with accepting Gonzo's origins... If I am right, then smile, because your eyes have been opened by me :big_grin: ...

«The True Follower of the Cosmic Fish of Knowledge»

Thank you!

Beauregard

Reaction score
I guess it's because we want to still think of him as a whatever.

"I mean I'm a human, you're a rat, and Gonzo's a..."

"Whatever."

"So what we're still family."

How can you do things like that if he's and alien.

"I mean I'm a human, you're a rat, and Gonzo's an alien"

"So what we're still family."

Well, I guess we will just have to acept him as he is, and hope that somone can think of jokes about aliens for the next film.

Bye,
Beauregard

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Gonzo is an unknown

Lorde Pompeo, I think the reason that some of us refuse to believe the ridiculous idea of Gonzo havin' an actual identity, is that it's not true Muppet magic.

Jim Henson and the others created Gonzo as a unique weirdo, a character who fit in NOWHERE. This was the most interesting aspect of his character to me, and I'm sure others, and makin' a movie that takes it all away is just like a slap in the face. :frown: It was like on "Seinfeld" when we all found out Kramer's first name. Sure, it may have made for a funny episode, but it wasn't the same as when he was just "Kramer"---though that's not exactly the same thing cause that's a name incident, and Gonzo's is species and origin.

Anyway...yeah, and there were SOOOOOOOOO many Gonzo jokes about bein' a "whatever" or "who knows?" and stuff, and they were always brilliant.

So it's not that we wanna be like stubborn children refusin' to believe in the "truth", it's that we are traditional Muppet fans who are indeed defensive about the actual truth: Gonzo always has been, and always will be in our hearts,.... :confused:

(By the by, I hope I didn't come off as mean or anything anywhere, I was just tryin' to explain our point of view...)

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
As much as I like people expressing there opinion on the net, I don't think we need to turn this tread into anouther "Gonzo is/is not an alien" argument.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I have to agree. I liked those "Gonzo is a whatever" jokes, especially the one in Veteran's Hospital:

Janice: To donate your body don't you have to be dead?

Gonzo: So what? I believe in re-incarnation.

Piggy: What would you come back as next time?

Gonzo: How should I know? I don't even know what I am this time.

That was hilarious. I guess when MFS was Dave Goelz decided that he felt it was time to give Gonzo an identity.

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
it's not like he has much of an identity anyway..he's part of an unnamed alien speices! As far as I am concerned, he still doesn't really know WHAT he is...I mean, he's not an eartling, or a martian, or anything...he's a ..whatever. Just now you could say he's a space whatever :stick_out_tongue: