What cartoons scare us the most?

mikealan

Reaction score
Hello, we already talked about what Muppets scare us the most, now we're talking about what animated segments scare us the most.

Mine were the Daddy Dear song (with the dandylions with the lion's head), the e segment (with The Land Of Steam), The Typewriter Guy U-Umbrella, The Take Away Splash Show series, the cartoon magician forming birds into fish, The F Flea Circus, the ants carrying the huge letter Q, Q-Quiet, Q-Quarter, the STOP cartoon where STOP signs float around quickly, "There's an identical shape toward ya!" and the yellow gophers warning the other one to do exercises until he broke the water pipe...freaky!

Comical_DrBob

Reaction score
I wasn't entiely scared of this skit but it was at the moment the orange that sang a song from Carmen face fell off & this clay/stop motion where there's afarm & all the family waits for rain it comes then they dance.

Sidebottom

Reaction score
I always liked the Daddy Dear song.

But does anyone remember "Five Purple Bonkers"? (Or "Konkers", I'm not sure.) It was a simple counting-down, ten-little-Indians style song with these five animated purple things who bopped themselves on the heads. I have no idea why, but it scared the bejeezus out of me as a kid. I only saw it about three or four times, and each time I totally freaked out. I haven't seen it now in over a decade. I'm not sure if I want to. :smile:

Anyone else ever see this one?

-Sidebottom

erracht

Reaction score
Segments with mutations, wigs falling off
peoples' heads and other "dismemberments",
I think. And anything with witches & other
real ferocious personalities/monsters.

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Sidebottom: It was called Five Purple Conkers. I saw it on a 1985 SSU episode...I rather enjoyed it...

CookieFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by Comical_DrBob
I wasn't entiely scared of this skit but it was at the moment the orange that sang a song from Carmen face fell off
I LOVED that skit! I haven't seen it since I originally watched SS 30 years ago or so. Has it ever resurfaced recently?

Just started rewatching since have an 18 month old now! I don't know what's stranger -- the fact that they show the retro clips or the fact that I REMEMBER them!

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
The cartoons that freaked me out? I think they were:

•A creature looks at herself in the mirror and tries to draw a happy face on her body, but draws a sad face, an angry face and a frightened face ... but finally her mirror image helps her out. (I wasn't too fond of it then, but now that I've seen it again on Unpaved, I kind of like the look of it.)

•the ageing process: A polliwog grows into a tadpole, then a frog, and at the end he shouts something like "WHERE AM I???" (anyone know what I'm talking about?)

•A man tries to get some sleep, but is disturbed by a fly, a chicken, and a rabbit drummer (both in person and on the phone!)

•What if the fly had the frog's legs? and the frog's body? and the frog's head? etc. (need I say more)

•"Here ... I made you another Igor"

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg: The frog actually shouts "HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY, KERMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!" (I saw it on the "Mr. Hooper is dead" episode at the Museum of Television and Radio, and yes, that IS what he shouted.)

beaker

Reaction score
All the Sesame cartoons were unsettling and unnerving. Then again when I watched it they were still showing the late 60's/early 70's experimental live action and cartoon shorts.

Gah, I always hated those non Muppet segments, even when I was little. 12345-678910-eleven SHUT UP! A carton of milk, a dozen eggs, and a stick of buttah...who cares? One of these things is not like the other? Wow, what a revelation.

Luckily they have modernized the 'filler' material(ie: cartoons/live action segments) from what IVe seen on the newer Sesame dvds. But man, back in my day(early to mid 80's) Yeeesh!

CookieFan

Reaction score
There was actually a live action segment that upset me when I was a child. Two little girls are playing with a doll house (one - two, two little *fill in the blank*) and at the end two cats come crashing through the dollhouse knocking everything over.

Saw it on 1-2-3 Sesame recently and realized these girls are probably older than I am now!