What Defines a "True" Muppet?

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
I don't know where to put this, so I'll put it here (mods--feel free to move it if you see fit)

It has long been debated by Muppet fans what technically counts as a true Muppet. In my opinion, the definition of a true Muppet falls into 3 categories:

Category 1: Only the "central" Muppet characters--those who originated from or were featured on The Muppet Show (and all ancillary shows/movies)--are "true" Muppets.

Category 2: Any puppet character that was designed and/or created by the Henson workshop--includes Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, The Storyteller, Yoda from Star Wars, etc.

Category 3: Any puppet character built in the tradition and with the techniques of the Henson company, but MAY not necessarily be Henson-created. (Examples: Crank Yankers, Avenue Q, Wonder Showzen, Eureka's Castle, The Puzzle Place, etc.)

I still don't know where my stand is as far as defining a true "Muppet." What are YOUR thoughts?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'd go somewhere between Category #1 and #2. For something to be a Muppet, it has to have been designed by the Henson company. But not every character created by Henson is technically a Muppet.

Dearth

Reaction score
Category 1 are Muppets, as are Fraggles and Sesame Street characters.

But Creature Shop creations are not. (And Yoda doesn't count in that category. Frank Oz and to a lesser degree Jim only served in an advisory capacity. The actual design and fabrication of that puppet were handled by the Star Wars people: Ralph McQuarrie, Joe Johnston, and especially Stuart Freeborn.)

And other people's puppets are most assuredly NOT Muppets. That would be like saying every restaurant serves a Big Mac. It's a trademark term.

Alex