What do you think of the newer Muppets?

wemblingalong

Reaction score
It seems like with the premiere of "Muppets Tonight" many new muppets emerged.:rolleyes: What are your thoughts on the new generation of muppets, such as Pepe, Johnny Fiama and Sal, and etc? I think Pepe was a welcome addition, kind of an edgey muppet they needed for the 21st century. Alot of the other ones just didn't seem to impress me the way older muppet characters have. Perhaps this is because we are just used to the older muppets? :confused:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I don't really look at it so muhc as older vs. newer. I look at it from the stand point if the character is good or not and are they a welcome addition that benefits the muppets well.I guess they had to do much the same with the muppets as they did with Sesame Street with eh loss and absents of so many performers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll say this. The ones that stuck around, Johnny, Bobo, Sal, Pepe, VanNueter... they stuck around for a good reason. Characters like Andy and Randy, Mr. Poodlepants, stuff like that... they aren't seen outside of MT at all, and that's because the characters simply didn't work. They didn't really have much to them, and were kinda annoying at parts.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
As Ilikemuppets stated, it's not really so much a matter of older vs newer, it's a matter of rather or not the characters work with the other Muppet characters. The fact is it's not like all the Muppet show characters worked either, heck you can make a huge list of Muppet characters that just didn't really work from both Sesame street and Muppet show. Same can be said for other shows that have a huge cast of characters such as Simpsons and even pro-wrestling.

All in all, for every Kermit or Miss. Piggy there are probably a handful Mr. Poodlepants. :zany: :smile: :wink:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of it is about trial and error and figuring out what works and doesn't. But there's also a fine line between what doesn't work and what they wont say or won't admit still works. Especially in the case of Sesame Street.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I really, really enjoy most of the new-age Muppets Tonight characters. Pepe is one of my all-time favorite Muppets, right up there with Gonzo and Fozzie in my book. Johnny and Sal are also great and deserve the place in the Muppet-verse they've earned. I think Clifford is also a great character and doesn't deserve all the flack he gets. :smirk: Not a HUGE Phil van Neuter fan, but I sill like him alright. Oh, and Bobo is fantastic.

As for characters that didn't stick aroudn that I would've liked to, I think Polly Lobster and Clueless Morgan definitely should have. They make a fantastic duo and can be used easily as a comic evil henchmen duo easily.

I do not like Andy and Randy or Mr. Poodlepants at all... They just don't work. Andy and Randy feel too dumb, Poodlepants is just too random. I wasn't a huge fan of Bill the Bubble Guy either... but to each fan his own, I suppose.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As for characters that didn't stick aroudn that I would've liked to, I think Polly Lobster and Clueless Morgan definitely should have. They make a fantastic duo and can be used easily as a comic evil henchmen duo easily.
They stuck around only for UK segments of MT. After that, they were gone. Gone, and never looked back upon. It's a real shame they were never brought back, even for a cameo in any of the films. But then again, maybe the puppets fell into disrepair, and it was too expensive to reconstruct them.

I do not like Andy and Randy or Mr. Poodlepants at all... They just don't work. Andy and Randy feel too dumb, Poodlepants is just too random. I wasn't a huge fan of Bill the Bubble Guy either... but to each fan his own, I suppose.
The problem with Andy and Randy Pig is the same problem, I think, that made Rocksteady and Beobop go from endearingly hillarious to annoying as time went on. There are only so many stupid jokes you can make before you just restate the obvious with every gag. And that's what the pigs were good for. Jokes about how stupid and clumsy they are. They were funny, I must confess, in the John Goodman episode.

As for Poodle and Bill... why weren't they funny or long lasting? They were one time, one shot jokes that they decided to overuse. Same problem with the Simpsons recently. Cletus was introduced as a one shot joke... then he became comic relief, then he degregated to cheap laugh.

Count von Count

Reaction score
Yeah I like Pepe. That is the only one I know. I have not seen Muppets Tonight.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I think Clifford is OK, Pepe was funny at first but he's kinda worn down his welcome for me. It's not that I hate him, he's just not in my top 10 :smile:

The Only Joey

Reaction score
Muppets Tonight is not bad, Clifford is a good host although i miss kermit doing most of the things.

The "newer" muppets are not bad but still, i miss the times henson did everything before Disney.