What does Kermit see in Miss Piggy?

jobi71

Reaction score
As others have stated I think a main reason is opposites attract. Kermit is mellow. Piggy is intense. I know we are speaking of puppets, but I believe in the world of The Muppets Miss Piggy is a very attractive pig. She won a beauty contest, was considered to be a model, a Broadway star and editor of Vogue. I know Frank Oz in an interview cited Piggy's insecurity as crucial to her character and I agree with that. He further said something to the effect of and I am paraphrasing "she's not a good singer or talent so she makes up for it with bravado." I see how this would be a helpful note for him as a performer for her backstory and subtext, but I think it sells Piggy a bit short. In the UK number of the Milton Berle episode Piggy does a reprise of The Entertainer. I only saw this sketch when I purchased the DVD's as I don't live in the UK. But I was blown away by Piggy. She sang. She danced. She played the piano. She gave that number 120%. Yes it was over the top, and one could argue like Rowlf that she was "hamming it up". But I think she is talented, and every night gives her all. I have worked in theater for 20+ years and talent is a very alluring trait. Certainly not always in a romantic way, but talent draws people to you. I think Kermit respects her abilities. So you have someone who is strong, attractive, talented and respected so I think it is natural Kermit is attracted to her. And I also can see how these traits in excess can exasperate Kermit. And thus dramatic/comedic tension is born.