1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

What does Kermit see in Miss Piggy?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Lourenzo, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Lourenzo

Lourenzo New Member

What does he see in her?

2. JT Yorke

JT Yorke Active Member

Opposites attracts i gues?

3. beatnikchick300

beatnikchick300 Well-Known Member

I second that.

4. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

"Kermit, you're starting to glow..."

LaRanaRene likes this.
  5. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

As others have stated I think a main reason is opposites attract. Kermit is mellow. Piggy is intense. I know we are speaking of puppets, but I believe in the world of The Muppets Miss Piggy is a very attractive pig. She won a beauty contest, was considered to be a model, a Broadway star and editor of Vogue. I know Frank Oz in an interview cited Piggy's insecurity as crucial to her character and I agree with that. He further said something to the effect of and I am paraphrasing "she's not a good singer or talent so she makes up for it with bravado." I see how this would be a helpful note for him as a performer for her backstory and subtext, but I think it sells Piggy a bit short. In the UK number of the Milton Berle episode Piggy does a reprise of The Entertainer. I only saw this sketch when I purchased the DVD's as I don't live in the UK. But I was blown away by Piggy. She sang. She danced. She played the piano. She gave that number 120%. Yes it was over the top, and one could argue like Rowlf that she was "hamming it up". But I think she is talented, and every night gives her all. I have worked in theater for 20+ years and talent is a very alluring trait. Certainly not always in a romantic way, but talent draws people to you. I think Kermit respects her abilities. So you have someone who is strong, attractive, talented and respected so I think it is natural Kermit is attracted to her. And I also can see how these traits in excess can exasperate Kermit. And thus dramatic/comedic tension is born.