What episode had the last "classic" animated segment ever aired on Sesame Street?

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I did view Muppet Wiki episode guides from Season 36 (2005), and I did notice the number of classic animated segments, the ones today's older adults were more familiar with, were few and far between by Season 36. Though I do admit, there were virtually no classic segments during Season 35 from 2004, so the limited number of classic segments used in Season 36 - five in total - was an increase from Season 35, if slightly.

The ones I noticed on the Season 36 guides that were from my childhood:
  • "Letter I (Beep Beep)"
  • "Name That Food"
  • "The Magnificent Splasho"
  • "The King of Eight"
  • "The Letter P sitting on an island before a sunset, with edges changing color" (though the background music and voiceover was completely different)
There was a remake of the Numerosity number song segments during Season 36, but it was a truncated remake, so that doesn't count.

But my question is, were there any occurrences of these classic segments beyond Season 36, if only for a limited number of years? If so, on what episode numbers did they get shown?

And what episode number was the very last classic animated segment ever aired in the series?

I know these classic segments would never be shown again, considering the show is broadcast in HD nowadays.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I believe the last time something from the 1970s was used was that "Bernice Plays Checkers" bit used in season 38.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I was referring to animated segments. "Bernice plays checkers" sounds more like an Ernie & Bert sketch.

After going through Season 38 in the Muppet Wiki, I found nothing in terms of classic animated segments. The oldest known animated segment that was shown that season was the "D/d drums and drumsticks" segment, which was first seen in April 1987. Not classic enough to me.

It might mean the last animated segment from the 70s to be shown may have been shown no later than 2006.

And according to the episode guide for Season 39, it appears the show has gone HD by that point, though there may have been some segments from the 1990s, or maybe as early as 1988, aired for maybe one more season. Considering that digital/HD TV became standard on June 12, 2009, it sounds like there were likely nothing but newer segments by Season 40, all in HD format.

One thing I am wondering: Could it be possible that the phasing out of classic segments was due to the show's decision to switch to an HD format?

Last edited:

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Since nobody answered, I took on the task of researching myself.

It turns out the last animated segment from the 1970s to ever air on Sesame Street was the Jasper and Julius "apple" skit, which aired on Episode 4133, during Season 36, on November 9, 2006.

Season 36 was the official final season with any 1970s animated segments. A total of three such segments were aired. Aside from Jasper and Julius, the other segments that were shown were "The Alligator King" and "Consonant Sound: N for Nose".

ssetta

Reaction score
Yes I do believe the lack of classic material is mostly due to HD. They never show anything from before Season 39 now (when they first went HD), never mind the 1970s. It’s sad, but it’s the truth.

crackmaster

Reaction score
After going through Season 38 in the Muppet Wiki, I found nothing in terms of classic animated segments. The oldest known animated segment that was shown that season was the "D/d drums and drumsticks" segment, which was first seen in April 1987. Not classic enough to me.
And you can't forget my favorite, Ken Brown and Lisa Crafts' "AT" (albeit truncated) although that was from 1995. If they remake that cartoon in HD, chances are it can air on the Street again. #SaveBillAndClaire

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
You do know that 1987 was nearly a decade before 1995, right?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think the show still aired segments from the 1990s for a few years after the switch to HD in season 39.