What gives you motivation/inspiration?

Melonpool

Reaction score
Wow Gordon! That's exactly how I feel about building. Even when I'm not building, I think about it all of the time. And unfinished projects drive me crazy... not that you'd ever know that about me. Sometimes it seems that all I have are partially-completed projects!

But it feels incredibly good to be in the thick of something big again!

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
woohoo im back

anyways...when i was in college, every now and then on certain weekends id come home....i remember i used to watch the Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson and it would inspire me to continue what i was doing, even in bad times. i dont know why but i guess his story of how he lived and how the muppets gather to find out who jim henson was touhed me in the right way

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Frogpuppeteer... i'm just so used to Facebook's "like" button that i would so click it, if MC had one for me to click on your post :smile:

As for Inspiration... I find that EVERYWHERE. As i mentioned in the first post, watching how the Sesame crew is performed and how their characters are delivered are what motivates me to continue my work. However, the inspiration for what i write and design really come from everything. I mainly use situations i take part in and observe in life. Like how Carol came up with Oscar, i do with character i puppeteer and also when i do non puppet stage performances.

charlie bird

Reaction score
Well, I pretty much use puppetry as a hobby more than a potential future career, but I find that some of the same things for freewriting work for me with puppetry. (For example, one idea from a "writing guide for kids/teens"-type book was to get a notebook and start writing a "journal" through the perspective of a character.) Also, reading books of odd and unusual fun facts and urban legends can help with thinking up ideas for character quirks and traits.
Wow ,I have to try that form of writing.
Ive been making a journal with my aproach to a character.It's filled with my desighns ,bad spelling ,and pictures.It looks verry mouch like a scrap book.I love making it, it takes alot less time than actually making the puppet itself.I think I'll have to try writing it from the perspective of the character and my point of veiw,wich is kind of um.......rediculas because um.....oh well atleast it helps me exsplore the character.
Thank you!:big_grin:

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Just to add to that, which was an EXCELLENT idea... i also suggest, while in the car, judgeing songs or anything you see, as your character. If its a street you've been down for years, become that character discovering it for the first time. If you work with a group of people, try this with them too. Find out how your character will react to another character's discovery of the street. This also helps to see the chemistry between these characters

But i dont want to stray from the topic here lol

charlie bird

Reaction score
Just to add to that, which was an EXCELLENT idea... i also suggest, while in the car, judgeing songs or anything you see, as your character. If its a street you've been down for years, become that character discovering it for the first time. If you work with a group of people, try this with them too. Find out how your character will react to another character's discovery of the street. This also helps to see the chemistry between these characters

But i dont want to stray from the topic here lol
I get my insparation so many ways!example:If i watch a good movie my characters start to look more like the characters from that movie,not the same thing ,but in the same style.When ever I realy like something I've seen like a theater costume ,or puppet my mind just can't get away from it and it comes out in my drawings or witing.
Thank you