What happened to Red?

wembleyfraggle

Reaction score
Remember on one of the DVD's they were going to add a new Red short? What happened to it? Was it ever filmed? I'd love to see Red in action again! :excited:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
wembleyfraggle said:
Remember on one of the DVD's they were going to add a new Red short? What happened to it? Was it ever filmed? I'd love to see Red in action again! :excited:
From Cory's website, November 13, 2008:

On a different note: I know many of you heard that there was a possibility of a NEW segment being shot for the Fraggle Rock Series boxed set. It was to be a mini-episode for Red Fraggle to star in. I wrote a script for it, and we were days away from shooting, but forces beyond our control prevented it (and by "forces," I mean contracts and legalities that were not yet ironed out with the distributor). Sorry for all you fans who had anticipated that. It was a fun segment, but it was only going to have one Fraggle in it anyway (Red is the only new puppet that has been created so far). I think that in the end, it will be all the more glorious to let the movie mark the Fraggles' official return.

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
It would be cool if they made this short for iTunes or YouTube closer to the film's release, as a little advertising/preview/DVD feature type...thing. :zany:

beaker

Reaction score
From Cory's website, November 13, 2008:

On a different note: I know many of you heard that there was a possibility of a NEW segment being shot for the Fraggle Rock Series boxed set. It was to be a mini-episode for Red Fraggle to star in. I wrote a script for it, and we were days away from shooting, but forces beyond our control prevented it (and by "forces," I mean contracts and legalities that were not yet ironed out with the distributor). Sorry for all you fans who had anticipated that. It was a fun segment, but it was only going to have one Fraggle in it anyway (Red is the only new puppet that has been created so far). I think that in the end, it will be all the more glorious to let the movie mark the Fraggles' official return.
Actually, given who knows when we'll ever see the "movie",
it would have been way cooler to have this short.

Ugh...so depressing...to think we were literally days away from having the FIRST official Fraggle Rock sketch in 22 years or so.
I wonder, what "legalities"...lame.

They should still film it and put it up online.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's what I've been saying all along:

When word of the movie first broke out, it was 2007... maybe even earlier. And these days everyone expects a movie to jump from the idea stage to the development stage within a couple months. And I feel Hit was thinking the same way. When the movie was first announced, everyone thought that it would have been released by 2009. So much misfortune hit the film, the writer's strike helped keep it down, now the nonsense with Weinstine losing money... that even if it does happen, it could be 2011 or 2012 for it to be released. At the time, Hit was partnering with Henson, and I swear they kept the partnership going for promises of the movie. The second season set once had "A Behind the scenes look at the new film" as one of the possible bonus features.

But 2008 rolled around and there was no real direction in terms of pre-production )other than countless script rewrites), and Hit's partnership licensing was about to expire. Realizing they weren't going to get a share of the movie and too lazy to care about renewing the deal, they slapped the last box set, which they only released as a complete series set at the time, together as cheaply and as speedily as they could. The Red thing wasn't going to happen, and they just said "see yah" to Henson.

That said, why the heck they don;t hype everything up with new Fraggle youtube videos is beyond me. Look how Bohemian Rhapsody and all the other virmups did with the Muppets. Surely, a Fraggle Rock web video series would do the same, and drive up business from movie studios who somehow can't think of anything original on their own, but can't bring themselves to fund an FR movie. I dunno about you, but a Traveling Matt viral series where he talks to actual people and explores the world of the "Silly Creatures" would be a lot better than the same lame viral videos and memes that choke up YT.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Oh, God, yes ... Matt segments are just MADE for youtube! :big_grin:

beaker

Reaction score
That said, why the heck they don;t hype everything up with new Fraggle youtube videos is beyond me. Look how Bohemian Rhapsody and all the other virmups did with the Muppets. Surely, a Fraggle Rock web video series would do the same, and drive up business from movie studios who somehow can't think of anything original on their own, but can't bring themselves to fund an FR movie. I dunno about you, but a Traveling Matt viral series where he talks to actual people and explores the world of the "Silly Creatures" would be a lot better than the same lame viral videos and memes that choke up YT.
Absolutely. Unlike the Muppets, the majority of people exposed to Uncle Matt and FR viral videos would be freshly introduced to them having never seen them before. I don't think Henson realizes how detrimental it was to have them on HBO, and how VERY few people seem to know what Fraggle Rock even is cept for "hip older college kids".

Have Uncle Matt hang out in Hollywood or LA and the strange encounters he has with random people...boom. Instant viral.
Have the Fraggles out in the real world for the first time, it'd be
a great start.