1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

What if Sesame Street was ANIMATED ?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by mbmfrog, Sep 28, 2008.

1. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

There's not to many animated shows, especially since PBS is the only place with credible animation (sans anime)--for the most part--anymore.
  2. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

I don't know. That might turn out to be as bad as the pop-up book thing for Elmo's Christmas Countdown. I don't think fans would want to see a 40th anniversary special done that way.
  3. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

It just depends, for there are various generations of fans and they all have their own views as to what makes a good special.
  4. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

I liked the animation style used in Follow that Bird. Though I know feature film animation is more expensive to pull off than television animation.
  5. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

I liked it too, but it reminded me of how the title sequences of the Honey, I (We) Shrunk...saga was done.
  6. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I liked that too. Joe Mathieu is the guy i would love to see do a Sesame Street Animated show. Not an hour show just a 30 minute show.
  7. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Indeed. He draws brillantly.
  8. Muppet dude

Muppet dude Active Member

Joe Mathieu was one of my all-time favorite Sesame Street artists as a kid. Many of the Sesame Street Random House Pictureback books I had as a kid (the "A Visit to the Sesame Street..." series, "Grover and the Everything in the Whole Wide World Museum," "We're Different, We're the Same," "A My Name is Alice" and "Sesame Street Stays Up Late") were all illustrated by Joe Mathieu. I also enjoyed his work in "The Exciting Adventures of Super Grover" and "The Sesame Street Dictionary." When it comes to the styles he does, I like the style he did in the 1980s and 1990s best, like here:
    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/muppet/images/9/99/Book.weredifferentsame.jpg

I think his and Tom Cooke's styles are the most distinctive.
  9. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Their styles are certainly distinct and stand out, that's "fer sure".
  10. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I love that book. I bought it several months back. It's so far one of my favorites.
  11. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

I'm a bit disappointed that no place where I am sells said books.
  12. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

If SS was originally animated, I doubt Jim Henson would've been involved.
  13. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Why? His characters were for Muppet Babies, need one forget.
  14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Exactly. They could have got a veteran animator instead of a veteran puppeteer. And if it originally was a cartoon, it clearly wouldn't have lasted that long. Educational cartoons of the 60's were a mixed bag... we either got something memorable like "Tennessee Tuxedo" or something unentertaining and forgetable like the wrongly named "Funny Company"
  15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Well, Tennessee Tuxedo was created out of the FCC chairman Newton Minnow's call that TV is a vast cultural wasteland. TT taught us about how things worked, and how things are done. of course, they worked that sort of thing into the storyline a BILLIONDY times better than Funny Company (from the one episode I'veeen... and all I need to see).

That said, a cartoon SS would be nothing but reruns past a couple seasons. It's the balance of Puppet, human, animation, and everything inbetween that made it memorable. Pee Wee wasn't just about a grown man screaming like a goof ball... he mixed things the same way.
  16. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but created the adult characters. If he didn't, there wouldn't have been Muppet Babies.
  17. GSmiley2007

GSmiley2007 Member

I like SS for what it is-- just classic puppetry. :)

As far as who'd do an animated SS along with Sesame Workshop and the Jim Henson Company, I would've gone with Marvel (hey, Marvel worked with Jim Henson on Muppet Babies, after all!) rather than DiC. And if they went with different voice actors instead of just using the Muppeteers for voices (whom I would prefer to use for an SS cartoon), here's who I would've picked:

(note: trying not to be a Little Muppet Monsters fan-boy :))
    Frank Welker for Kermit, Ernie, and the Count
    Greg Berg for Bert and Big Bird
    Dan Castellaneta for Oscar
    Bob Bergen for Guy Smiley, Herry, and Telly
    Hal Rayle for Cookie Monster and Grover
    Tom Kenny for Snuffy, Mumford, and Mr. Johnson
    Russi Taylor for Prairie Dawn and Grundgetta

Just some examples. I'm sure you've got slightly better choices, though. :)
  18. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I like that idea for the vocies. I know it wouldn't have gone over with it being a eduactional animated series but i think it might would work this now. I would think more of a animated adventure or just another day on Sesame Street type of series more then having it be a numbers and letters. But that's me. I just would love a SS cartoon series just to have something us Classic Fans would enjoy watching.
  19. Muppet dude

Muppet dude Active Member

Actually, I think Dan Castellaneta might make a good Count Von Count. He did a great Dracula voice for "The Simpsons" and "Animaniacs." I don't recall Frank Welker voicing any vampires; usually when it comes to classic movie monsters, he voices werewolves.

On the other hand, Tress MacNeille could make a good Elmo!
  20. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

She proubly could. I could see her voicing Zoe as well.