What in the world became of Tom and Jerry?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I just watched the uncut version of "Pluto's Judgement Day" (I had only previously seen a clip via "Disney's Halloween Treat"), and... I was just thrown by the "Uncle Tom" skit. These three "blackface" kittens were dragging Uncle Tom's headstone around with them, and I just don't see how that's funny. I thought Disney was better than that.
Disney wasn't all that progressive in that regard back then, heh.

I wasn't around in the 30s, so I don't really know the deepness of the culture, but that still doesn't make it OK. What were they thinking?
Well nearly all groups were made fun of. Vaudeville had dialect comedians making fun of immigrants. But obviously black face had a much more degrading connotation.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just watched the uncut version of "Pluto's Judgement Day" (I had only previously seen a clip via "Disney's Halloween Treat"), and... I was just thrown by the "Uncle Tom" skit. These three "blackface" kittens were dragging Uncle Tom's headstone around with them, and I just don't see how that's funny. I thought Disney was better than that. I wasn't around in the 30s, so I don't really know the deepness of the culture, but that still doesn't make it OK. What were they thinking?
Yeah, and then the Christmas one where a black little girl doll comes off the assembly line and says "Mammy?" Disney released that on home video in the 90's! They refuse to release Song of the South, but Mammy's okay? Maybe no one watched it the way through and overlooked it.

Seriously, I fail to see what's truly wrong with releasing SOTS as an online collector by collector exclusive. If anyone even remotely knows the history of Brer Rabbit stories, they were based off of the old Anasazi the Spider fables. The tar trap was originally a gum trap. And yet, Diz continues to make Brer Rabbit stuff and release Zipadee Doo Dah on verious sound tracks. They even used the actual SOTS clips in sing-a-long videos.