What is a Year Like for You?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm just curious if anybody else has their own intepretations on what a year is like for them.

I know according to the calendar, January 1 marks the beginning of a new year, and according to Mother Nature, spring marks the beginning of new life, etc, but do those really apply to you? If not, how do you figure it out for yourself? What's the yearly cycle like for you?

For me, I feel that September is like being "born again", for me, that's when things start becoming more enjoyable, the air seems fresher, life seems brighter, it's like it's safe for you to crawl out of whatever hole you may have previously been in.

October, November, and December is like the "growing period", it's when everything just keeps getting better and better, and what makes it really awesome is that it's always predictable, yet unpredictable: October and November especially when fall arrives, you know the leaves are going to change color, but you never know what color is going to dominate the foliage around you, one year red may stand out more, the next may be yellow, etc. Plus, the holidays always bring out such joy and festiveness, especially in my family, we LOVE our holidays: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas... it just helps make this three-month-period the greatest part of the year, and I have to say, this past year was the greatest and happiest holiday period I ever experienced. Life is just really a happy and bright thing during this time.

January and February and on most occasions March are a stable period, not much changes, but it doesn't really matter too awful much, because it's still an enjoyable time of year, there's still a little bit of a spring in your step, and life in general is still treating you well.

April and especially May is what I consider to be the beginning of the end... the change is in the air, but you know it's not a good change, and you find yourself wishing it would just hurry up and get here so you don't have to keep anticipating it (not in a good way) any longer, but at the same time, you still want to hang onto those last good days while you can, because you know it's going to be a while until you see them again.

June, July, and August is like being in "limbo", or I'd even describe it as being like being in "purgatory"... not necessarily because of the heat (although that does play a factor), but more like it's being in a dark and ominous place that you're forced to stay in, whether you want to or not, until you can escape into September. August is particularly and arguably the worst of it, because it's such a long and dull month, it always seems like it takes forever to pass.

Hubert

Reaction score
I'm also going to start at September, even though it isn't the best time for me, it is when my year really starts, so to speak. After the summer, it's refreshing to have cooler weather, it seems like everything gets back in action. Yet then again, the cooler air tends to give me the feeling of winter approaching, which I don't like.

Then when we get to October, which is practically one of my least favorite times of the year. I feel like I'm in a waiting period between the nice weather and the bad weather...it's just an all around bad month for me.

Now with Thanksgiving and Christmas in November and December, even the winder doesn't phase me there. It's just such a happy and warm time in the year, it makes you be able to forget all the hustle and bustle of the world and just sort of enjoy the seasons.

Then we get to the dreaded (and I mean dreaded) January and February. Terrible. Getting back into things after the major holidays, plus not having much to celebrate. Still so wintery and just plain boring. I just feel like everyday through those two months I'm just dragging bricks along with me trying to get through the horrible-ness, one day at a time.

Now March, April, and even May are the prime months for me. Everything seems to come back together. The perfect balance of hot and cold weather, people seeming much happier getting out of the winter, everything just seems to come back together. It's such a perfect time to be able to do things.

Then finally, the summer months. I love June, the first time we get to see extremely nice weather, even if a little hot. Plus there's such a great vibe duiring summer. Everyone is planning vacations and relaxations and all kinds of stuff, everyone seems about as happy as around Christmas. Then around the middle/end of July, I get to the spot where I just want September to come. I just get tired of the warm weather, sometimes too warm to do anything. It just feels like such a desolate time.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Fall=rebirth
Winter=Health
Spring=Suffering
Summer=Death

Thats a year in a nutshell

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So in other words, a year is about the same for both of us.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Pretty much. Spring months I'm completely miserable because of all the pollen...mother nature really must have some kind of vendetta against me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Spring just puts me in a funk, period. All that lime green foliage everywhere is murder on the retina, and gives me a headache.

Vincent L

Reaction score
To me, winter is a time to dream, especially if it's rainy or foggy.
On Christmas, I think about my past memories, and to think about the past year, and my life so far.
(anyone heard Poems, Prayers & Promises by John Denver?)

(this post is edited)

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
All that we see or seem
is but a dream within a dream

Vincent L

Reaction score
The Four Seasons by Vivaldi basically sums up my feelings.