What is an Unpaved Sesame Street episode?

prickle747

Reaction score
can someone please explain ??? thanks in advance !!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, the way it breaks down is like this.

Sesame Street Unpaved covers the whole of Sesame Street episodes produced and aired during the first twenty seasons of the show, from 1969 to 1989.
Then there's 1-2-3 Sesame Street or Sesame Street Too, which gets you everything from season 21 to the present from 1989 to 2003. However, seasons 21 to 29 or from 1989 to 1998 are denoted due to their intro and closing song sounding like a sort of Calypso version of the classic theme song. And there's new animated intro and closing segments with the SS characters.
Lastly, you've got the seasons from 30 to the present or from 1999 to the here and now, denoted by a new intro song sung by the kids and featuring a different intro segment with the SS characters. Furthermore, these are the episodes where the show started to get bogged down by the inanity that is Elmo's World.
Hope this helps and have a pleasant morrow.

ssetta

Reaction score
I think I can explain it better.

See, "Sesame Street Unpaved" was this rerun series that used to be on the digital cable channel called "Noggin." I'm not surprised you've never heard of it, a lot of people haven't. But it wasn't every episode from 1969 through 1989, it was only 65 episodes. They only picked the ones that were the best. And for 4 years, they kept repeating the same shows over and over. But I was extremely upset when it was cancelled, and I didn't think I'd ever get over it.

Would you like me to tell you why they had to cancel it?

Well, the channel is completely different than it used to be. They used to have a whole bunch of old shows as well, such as The Electric Company and 3-2-1 Contact. But the channel has been re-vamped into 2. During the day, you have Noggin, which is for ages 2-5, and they have preschool shows. Then, from 6 PM on, it's called The N, which is for older kids, and young teenagers. And Sesame Street Unpaved doesn't go with either of those. In their opinion, it isn't really for anyone anymore, it was something that was done for preschoolers 25 years ago.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Part of the reason these shows are gone is that the station was originally partially owned by Sesame Workshop. After they sold the channel fully to Nickelodeon/Viacom, the older programing left. Noggin did agree to produce a minimum of four years of Play With Me Sesame and continue airing newer re-runs (post-1999) of Sesame Street.

ssetta

Reaction score
Exactly, and that's what they're doing now.

And I meant to say, before they changed to the new format, even the Sesame Street episodes they were airing as part of Sesame Too were quite old. They were from the 1993-94 season. And I think kids didn't actually like them, because the show was a lot more complicated back then, and mainly, because it didn't have Elmo's World. The kids of today like the new Sesame Street, because it has Elmo's World, which is extremely popular. And you know, I think Noggin only likes Elmo's World, they don't so much like Sesame Street, along with most kids of today. Kids don't like those old characters anymore, they're too old fashioned.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I'm glad I found this thread, I have been wondering what these names meant. I understand much better now. What is the Electric Company though?

thanks, from Paul :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
The Electric Company was a completely different show, CTW's #2 show in their educational stable. Back in the glorious 80's, CTW as it was known back then didn't just rest on the laurels of Sesame Street. No sir! They had all these different shows for different purposes.
Encyclopedia, to teach kids all about a variety of subjects with each entry categorized by letter and with a live cast of actors performing the sketches and songs. There was even a credited band named "Betty" which emerged from the show.
Square One Television, which tought kids about the vonderful vorld of mathematics. There were animated video game spoofs like Math Man (Pac Man) and Paulina's Perilous Pyramid (Q-Bert), and a spoof of Dragnet called Mathnet at the end of each episode.
3-2-1 Contact! was designed to teach kids about the realm of science with live films and they too had a mystery-solving segment at the end of all episodes.
The Electric Company was similar to Sesame Street but it was designed to teach kids about phonetics, emphazing different letter or letter grouping sounds in each episode.
Search out BooberGorg and see if you can make a few trades with him to get yourself a few of these shows episodes. Hope this helps and have a good day.

Oh, I almost forgot, some Electric Company episodes have two different superhero inserts. There's one called Letterman where the hero has to fix words changed by the evil Spellbinder back to their original state thus affecting some physical change in the universe; and there are some live goofy Spider-Man inserts that aren't shown in the show themselves but were a sort of clip presented before or after the show itself. Again, hope this helps and have a good day.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I remember that square one maths show, I had totally forgotten about it even though I have always hated maths and been very bad at it , I used to quite like that show, it was on very early in the mornings when I was very young and I used to watch it for some reason.

I never realised this had something to do with sesame street, are you sure this is right?

thanks,
from Paul :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
There are only two things that tie Square One Television in with Sesame Street.
1 The fact that CTW (as it was called way back then, instead of SW as it's known now) created the show.
2 There was a spoof of Sesame featured on one of the episodes of Square One called Carroway Street. Two of the male actors from Square One were dressed up as both Bert and Ernie and they recreated the classic Bert And Ernie sketch where Ernie brings a little puppy dog to the apartment in the hopes that the duo could adopt the doggie.
Hope this helps and have a good day.