What is your favorite movie in 1980's?

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Thanks, Sesameguy! Purple Rose is one of my favorite Woody Allen films, although if I had to choose an all-time fave, I'd pick Bananas. I would *pick* Bananas, hahahahaha!

Seriously.

Purple Rose is a sweet little film. Although it has a nice dose of comedy (when the Jeff Daniels character leaves the screen and enters the real world, the other characters in the film within the film are lost, and have no idea what to do), to me, the movie is ultimately sad. The Mia Farrow character is trapped in a loveless, abusive marriage and when the unthinkable happens--her favorite screen personality literally walks out of the movie she has memorized, and into her life--she experiences some happiness, showing her wide-eyed new friend when the "real world" (the film is set during the Great Depression) is really like, while her companion can't understand why the world isn't like his movie world--packed with adventure and high-society parties.

Woody allows the film to get more complicated when he introduces the actor (also played by Jeff Daniels, but of course not at all like his screen persona) into the storyline. Now poor Mia Farrow has three men in her life: her sleazy husband, a totally sincere (but fictional) movie character, and the Hollywood actor who plays him, who isn't too happy his "creation" is on the loose.

Purple Rose is a wonderful film, sandwiched between the wacky Broadway Danny Rose (1984) and the award-winning Hannah and Her Sisters (1986).

sesameguy

Reaction score
How could I forget "Hannah and her sisters!" That's a pretty good one.

I agree that "Purple Rose" is a tragic story in many ways. That's sort of the "price it pays" for telling the story. But I also like to think that there is a bit of hope in it. (I'm trying hard not to give anything away here! :smile: ) There's an interview with Woody Allen that has appeared on TCM a few times. He mentions that he was asked to change the ending of "Purple Rose" to make it happier, but he opted not to do that, knowing that this was the story he wanted to tell.

anytimepally

Reaction score
Admittedly, some of these aren't good movies, but there's a lot of nostalgia for movies I enjoyed as a kid.. in no particular order

The Last Unicorn (1982)
Ernest Saves Christmas (1988)
Santa Claus: The Movie (1985, really only the 1st half of it)
The Meaning of Life (1983)
Airplane! (1980)
Clash of the Titans (1981, the Height of Stop-Motion!)
E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial (1982, my 1st "favorite movie")
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, still my favorite Star Wars film)
The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980)
History of the World: Part 1 (1981)
Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade (1989, my 2nd favorite Connery film)
Masters of the Universe (1987, I know it wasn't that great but Langella's Skeletor still makes it worth watching)
Poltergeist (1982, made me afraid of clowns for a while)
The Princess Bride (1987, You keep using that work.. I do not think it means what you think it means...)
This Is Spın̈al Tap (1984.. these go to eleven...)
Willow (1988)
The Dark Crystal (1982, one of the best-looking movies ever)
The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984, the 1st Muppet Movie I saw at the theatre)
The Law Emperor (1987)
The Stunt Man (1980, although filmed in 1978)
Star Trek IV: Save The Whales... err... The Voyage Home (1984)
The Living Daylights (1987)
Licence to Kill (1989)
Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (and Don't Come Back!) (1980, my favorite Peanuts feature film)

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
There's an interview with Woody Allen that has appeared on TCM a few times. He mentions that he was asked to change the ending of "Purple Rose" to make it happier, but he opted not to do that, knowing that this was the story he wanted to tell.
Yeah, I read that in a book about Woody, how Orion Pictures wanted a more conventional happy ending, but Woody refused to give in.

sesameguy

Reaction score
Masters of the Universe (1987, I know it wasn't that great but Langella's Skeletor still makes it worth watching)
Poltergeist (1982, made me afraid of clowns for a while)
Star Trek IV: Save The Whales... err... The Voyage Home (1984)
Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (and Don't Come Back!) (1980, my favorite Peanuts feature film)
Nice list! A few comments:

I actually got to see one of the clown dolls used for the "Poltergeist" movie. It was on display in a small toy shop near San Diego. It was sitting atop a shelf of other toys with a small note next to it, along with a few photos from behind-the-scenes of the movie. This was sometime in the mid-1980s. I'm not sure if it's still there at this point.

I'm willing to watch "Masters of the Universe" since Courteney Cox is in it. :smile: But also, it was a pretty good re-telling of the "He-Man" legend, and in a sense it marked the end of the "1980s" version of He-Man. He would return to animated form later, of course. Is this one out on DVD?

I forgot all about the Star Trek film series! I enjoyed 2 and 4 probably the most. I love the scene where Spock tries to "mind-meld" with the whales! It's great when they take time to have fun scenes like that.

"Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown" had some fun moments. You might also enjoy the TV special, "What have we learned, Charlie Brown?" It is set up like a "sequel" to "Bon Voyage," in that it picks up just after Snoopy and the gang leave the chateau. They then drive to Normandy beach, I believe, to reflect on the historic D-day battle. I think "What have we learned" was on video at one point.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have a long list, but I think I'll just mention a few that weren't already...

Great Mouse Detective- Very underrated Disney film

Dragon Ball Maka Fushigi (Mystical Journey)- I personally love all the Non-Z Dragon Ball films, but this one is my favorite, since Arale-chan from Dr. Slump has a breif cameo in it.

Back to the Future 1 and 2- I think 2 came out in 1989, so that counts, right.

Bill and Ted- or was that 1990?

Kinnikuman: Crisis in New York- wouldn't be worth my salt if I didn;t make one reference to Kinnikuman in any list available...

I would have killed to see the Heathcliff movie on the big screen, though. i wish they'd rerelease that one.

anytimepally

Reaction score
I actually got to see one of the clown dolls used for the "Poltergeist" movie. It was on display in a small toy shop near San Diego. It was sitting atop a shelf of other toys with a small note next to it, along with a few photos from behind-the-scenes of the movie. This was sometime in the mid-1980s. I'm not sure if it's still there at this point.

I'm willing to watch "Masters of the Universe" since Courteney Cox is in it. :smile: But also, it was a pretty good re-telling of the "He-Man" legend, and in a sense it marked the end of the "1980s" version of He-Man. He would return to animated form later, of course. Is this one out on DVD?

I forgot all about the Star Trek film series! I enjoyed 2 and 4 probably the most. I love the scene where Spock tries to "mind-meld" with the whales! It's great when they take time to have fun scenes like that.

"Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown" had some fun moments. You might also enjoy the TV special, "What have we learned, Charlie Brown?" It is set up like a "sequel" to "Bon Voyage," in that it picks up just after Snoopy and the gang leave the chateau. They then drive to Normandy beach, I believe, to reflect on the historic D-day battle. I think "What have we learned" was on video at one point.
those clowns still give me the creeps.. Masters of the Universe is out on DVD

I haven't seen "What have we learned, Charlie Brown?" but there's a really great used video store near my parents house.. I'll have to check for it when I visit for Christmas

Bill and Ted- or was that 1990?
Excellent Adventure was 1989.. the sequel was 1991

Son of Enik

Reaction score
My 80's Picks

In no particular order...
The Gong Show Movie
E.T.
Rocky III
Caveman
Night Shift
The Empire Strikes Back
Return Of The Jedi
An Officer and A Gentleman
Revenge Of The Nerds
Police Academy (original only)
Weird Science
Rocky IV
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade
UHF
Batman
Muppets Take Manhattan
and alot more I've probably missed, but these come to mind right away.