What Kind of bird is Big Bird?

Beaker915

Reaction score
Can anyone please help me with a question that came up at work and no one I've asked has been able to answer so far-What type of bird is Big Bird?

Thanks,

Beaker915

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Big Bird is a canary. If you need proof, try to locate a copy of the book "Sesame Unpaved". :smile: (Or maybe some online SS sites document it).

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh good idea Byron, to look in Sesame Street Unpaved. Here's what I found on the subject, Beaker915. In Big Bird's Bio (in Sesame Street Unpaved) it has his Scientific Name as Bigus canarius. Sounds like he's a canary to me! :smile:

dcfboss

Reaction score
he probably is a canary, but i think they use turkey feathers for his costume. to me he's just a big old yellow bird.

Beaker915

Reaction score
Thanks you guys-that answers my question-though the book sounds interesting! Until someone posed the question, he was always just a big yellow bird to me!

Beaker915

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Beaker915, I bet that's just the kind of question that the writers were asking themselves during the first season of the show. I thought it odd that in the first episode, Big Bird got so nervous that he "nearly laid an egg ... right here on Sesame Street." I swear, he DID say that.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by Boober_Gorg
I thought it odd that in the first episode, Big Bird got so nervous that he "nearly laid an egg ... right here on Sesame Street." I swear, he DID say that.
Well maybe he was makin' a funny. :big_grin:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
Well maybe he was makin' a funny. :big_grin:
That sounds likely. They did make a lot of those back then on the show.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Big Bird stated in the SS Live show "Everyone Makes Music" that he is a canary. He said it right out loud for everyone to hear.

The End.