1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

What Kind of bird is Big Bird?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Beaker915, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Beaker915

Beaker915 New Member

Can anyone please help me with a question that came up at work and no one I've asked has been able to answer so far-What type of bird is Big Bird?

Thanks,

Beaker915
  2. Big Bird is a canary. If you need proof, try to locate a copy of the book "Sesame Unpaved". :) (Or maybe some online SS sites document it).
  3. Cindy

Cindy Moderator Staff Member

Oh good idea Byron, to look in Sesame Street Unpaved. Here's what I found on the subject, Beaker915. In Big Bird's Bio (in Sesame Street Unpaved) it has his Scientific Name as Bigus canarius. Sounds like he's a canary to me! :)
  4. dcfboss

dcfboss New Member

he probably is a canary, but i think they use turkey feathers for his costume. to me he's just a big old yellow bird.
  5. Beaker915

Beaker915 New Member

Thanks you guys-that answers my question-though the book sounds interesting! Until someone posed the question, he was always just a big yellow bird to me!

Beaker915
  6. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

Beaker915, I bet that's just the kind of question that the writers were asking themselves during the first season of the show. I thought it odd that in the first episode, Big Bird got so nervous that he "nearly laid an egg ... right here on Sesame Street." I swear, he DID say that.
  7. Well maybe he was makin' a funny. :D
  8. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

That sounds likely. They did make a lot of those back then on the show.
  9. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

Big Bird stated in the SS Live show "Everyone Makes Music" that he is a canary. He said it right out loud for everyone to hear.

The End.
  10. Manda:-D

Manda:-D New Member

A REALLY BIG one.
  11. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

I remember when Big Bird visited Make Believe on Mr. Roger's. King Friday asked him if he was related to the cassowary. But Big Bird replied. "I'm more of a condor."
  12. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

A REALLY REALLY BIG one.
  13. Splurge

Splurge Member

That's right, it was a golden condor.
  14. Klonoa

Klonoa New Member

I think Big Bird is a chocobo. :)

--Klonoa
  15. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Maybe Big Bird is a mixed breed (do they do that with birds?). Seeing as he said he was a canary in a Sesame special and more condor on Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, maybe he's a combination of both.