What should I do?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
After I finish High School, and go to college, I wish to become a Sesame muppeteer. Does anyone know what kind of "applications" I might have to take care of if I wish to become a muppeteer for Sesame Street?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
First of all, there are a lot of threads that discuss this in great detail so you should really do a search for this topic - you'll probably find most of the info you want is already posted here. That said, if you have to pee or go to the fridge and get a snack do it know because I'm about to go off on one of my patented long-winded posts. :wink:

Becoming a Muppeteer (or any kind of professional puppeteer) is a very long, hard process. Alot of fun, but a lot of work too. To apply to work for the Muppets you send a videotape to them in New York. Kevin Clash or one of the other puppeteers review the tapes when they are looking for new talent. It's a good idea to get a basic amount of training in puppetry and practice a lot before doing this. You don't have to be in a rush to do it if you re still in high school as they only hold workshops once every few years.

The workshops last for a week and they eliminate candidates day-by-day until there are only a couple left. The lucky few who make it through to the end may get the opportunity to observe or maybe lend a hand here and there on something like Sesame Street. If you're good and everyone likes you that could last a few years until you become a regular background puppeteer, working whenever there is a big crowd scene and that sort of thing (probably not too many episodes of Sesame because of budget restrictions). At this point remember that it's unlikely you'd even have a minor recurring character. You also have to eek out a living, and most puppeteers are like working actors - they usually need more than one or two sources of income.

Most of the Sesame Street puppeteers did the show for around ten years before they got a major character and even then they are freelancers, most of whom are not employed full-time. Bill Baretta (who I don't think does Sesame) was an exception, he rose through the Muppet ranks very quickly, likely because he learned a lot quickly while working on Dinosaurs (he was the body performer for Earl Sinclair) and because he just happens to be an exceptionally phenomenal performer.

I don't want to discourage you or sound negative, but it is good to know from the outset that it is a hard business to succeed in. In the few years I have been in puppetry I have seen alot of people who started off really gun-ho drop out of it or put puppetry on the backburner because they didn't succeed as quickly as they had hoped.

It's also very important to remember that very few of the puppeteers in the world work for the Muppets. Even fewer ever become principal puppeteers with them (about one person per decade it seems). Remember how good I said Bill Baretta is? That's the kind of talent (or at least potential) you need to really make it with the Muppets. But you can still have a great career as a puppeteer and not work for the Muppets too. I don't think I've really "made it" by any stretch of the imagination but yet I've more or less made my living in puppetry for the past seven years.

There's a few puppetry schools in North America you could attend (check out the list on The Puppetry Homepage). There are also some Web sites with info that might help you. Many of the Muppet performers recall their audition experiences in the interviews section of Muppet Central. Muppeteer Rick Lyon also has a great article for aspiring puppeteers here and part-time Muppeteer Leo Brodie has written two great articles on TV puppetry technique for beginners, Introduction to Video Puppetry and How to set-up a practice monitor.

I hope this helps!

:smile:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Buck is always so helpful...... I wonder where he stores all that information?

:zany:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I am asking the same questions as I would love to be a puppeteer someday and I need to know how to go about it, Here in Australia it is even harder as I dont think there is anywhere where they teach puppetry. I have been searching for info on this but havent found anything yet.

Ryan

Reaction score
Practice, practice, practice. It's the best advice you can give a puppeteer (or any performer at that). Also, don't just be limited to Muppets. There are several companies out there who are doing Muppet style puppetry. Do as much local puppet stuff as you can. You may not want to take some of the puppetry jobs that are around, but it's still good for a resume (IE. Birhday parties) I myself am still working on local stuff, tryin to spread the word. And, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Also, if you really are interested in working at Henson, send a tape. I did, and I've been invited to the next workshop (which, will luckily should be happening when I turn 18) and they will put your name on file for whenever the next workshop comes along. Good Luck. :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Puppetplanet said:
Buck is always so helpful...... I wonder where he stores all that information?
Hollow tail. I keep an extra hard drive in there. :stick_out_tongue: :zany:

Treelo

Reaction score
If you want to be a television puppeteer, you must constantly be working at your craft - otherwise it'll just be a dream. You must love puppetry to the point that you can't walk past a mirror without sticking your arm up in the air and animating it.

Perform whenever you can. Build your own puppets. Educate yourself in every area of puppetry/acting/singing that you can. The more you can do, the easier it'll be for you to sell yourself later. And the longer you work, the better you will become.

And if you don't have one, you must get yourself a camera and practice, practice, practice. A camera is more important than a puppet. Work to master your movements on a television moniter. You'll quickly find that television requires a unique performance much different from live shows.

Puppetry must be your passion. If it is, you'll make a career of it eventually. Commit yourself to it and don't give up.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Treelo said:
You must love puppetry to the point that you can't walk past a mirror without sticking your arm up in the air and animating it.
MMMMMAAAAANNNNN....!!:eek:

Are you psychic? I admit it, sometimes, I can't resist sticking my arm up in the air and act like I'm manipulating a character.

As a matter of fact, I have built my own puppets and am currently developing a local TV show with these characters. This is my dream, and maybe, someday I'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.