What TV Show has the most Spin offs?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
SANFORD AND SON had GRADY, THE SANFORD ARMS, and SANFORD.
It's hard to think of a show that had that many spinoffs which resulted in absolutely nothing. I think combined those shows lasted for forty-five episodes. The producers forgot that the best thing of Sanford and Son was the interaction between Fred and everyone else, so it was natural the spinoffs would go by the wayside.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Come to think of it, I think a number of shows from the 70s were actually spin-offs from LOVE, AMERICAN STYLE, considering it was an anthology series, I think a number of individual sketches/skits/inserts resulted in being adapted into their own series (again, HAPPY DAYS being one of them)... so I guess, most things considered, LOVE, AMERICAN STYLE probably has had more spin-offs than any other program.

I almost forgot, there almost was a spin-off to GREEN ACRES (which was a spin-off of PETTICOAT JUNCTION, which was a spin-off of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES), but because of the Rural Purge, it was never given it's own series (but the pilot episode was the series finale of GREEN ACRES).

muppetperson

Reaction score
Happy Days had Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy, and Joanie Loves Chachi, as well as two short-lived shows: Blansky's Beauties and Out of the Blue (the later of which is debatably a spin-off, as the show actually debuted a week before the spin-offs character appeared on Happy Days, though Wikipedia says that was a scheduling error; In fact, the first time I heard of Blanksy's Beauties, it was in a local questions-and-answers portion of the TV listing, where it was said that the show is not a spin-off). There were also two animated shows, Fonz and the Happy Days Gang and later The Fonz/Lavern and Shirley/Mork and Mindy Hour, but do animated shows count as spin-offs?
I hadn't thought of animated shows, but I guess if they are the same characters, then they do!

muppetperson

Reaction score
Come to think of it, I think a number of shows from the 70s were actually spin-offs from LOVE, AMERICAN STYLE, considering it was an anthology series, I think a number of individual sketches/skits/inserts resulted in being adapted into their own series (again, HAPPY DAYS being one of them)... so I guess, most things considered, LOVE, AMERICAN STYLE probably has had more spin-offs than any other program.

I almost forgot, there almost was a spin-off to GREEN ACRES (which was a spin-off of PETTICOAT JUNCTION, which was a spin-off of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES), but because of the Rural Purge, it was never given it's own series (but the pilot episode was the series finale of GREEN ACRES).
So did "Love, American Style" feature the Cunninghams or is "Happy Days" just based on something simular, in which case, it would not be a spin off?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No, if I recall correctly, the Cunningham's were featured in an entry for LOVE, AMERICAN STYLE, which led to a spin-off; I'd have to look it up again, but I believe that's what happened.

snichols1973

Reaction score

Howdy (TV 1970) - IMDb

Sometimes, Sam Drucker would make an occasional crossover appearance on the Beverly Hillbillies, but other than that, the TV worlds of TBH's Beverly Hills and Green Acres's Hooterville (to the best of my knowledge) remained quite distinct from each other, even though characters such as Sam Drucker, Uncle Joe, etc. originally appeared on G.A. as "guest stars from Petticoat Junction" during G.A.'s first season, and I can't recall if any of the G.A. characters ever made crossover appearances on TBH....

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can't recall if any of the G.A. characters ever made crossover appearances on TBH....
Wasn't there an episode where different characters from all three shows got together to celebrate Christmas?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So did "Love, American Style" feature the Cunninghams or is "Happy Days" just based on something simular, in which case, it would not be a spin off?
Yes. The pilot was titled "Love and the Happy Days" and featured Richie, Potsy, Howard, Marion, Joanie, and Chuck. Howard, Joanie, and Chuck were all played by different actors than they would be on the show.

I've read that the pilot was originally to be titled New Family in Town, before it aired as part of Love, American Style. I've read that creator Gary Marshall had once been quoted as referring to Love, American Style as a showcase for unsold pilots. So has Love, American Style spun-off any other TV shows?

One episode from the second season of Happy Days includes clips from the pilot. In the pilot, the Cunninghams become the first family in town to own a TV set, and Richie gets a girlfriend who was really only interested in watching TV. That same girlfriend appeared in the season two episode, where she and Richie got back together, but then Richie wanted to break up with her as she started becoming a bit obsessive.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Yes. The pilot was titled "Love and the Happy Days" and featured Richie, Potsy, Howard, Marion, Joanie, and Chuck. Howard, Joanie, and Chuck were all played by different actors than they would be on the show.

I've read that the pilot was originally to be titled New Family in Town, before it aired as part of Love, American Style. I've read that creator Gary Marshall had once been quoted as referring to Love, American Style as a showcase for unsold pilots. So has Love, American Style spun-off any other TV shows?

One episode from the second season of Happy Days includes clips from the pilot. In the pilot, the Cunninghams become the first family in town to own a TV set, and Richie gets a girlfriend who was really only interested in watching TV. That same girlfriend appeared in the season two episode, where she and Richie got back together, but then Richie wanted to break up with her as she started becoming a bit obsessive.
As for the first official episode of "Happy Days" (the one where Richie nearly goes "all the way" with a girl), there were actually two versions shot. One (called "The Happy Days") featured a different actress playing Joanie (though not the same one from "Love, American Style").

Mo Frackle

Reaction score

As for the first official episode of "Happy Days" (the one where Richie nearly goes "all the way" with a girl), there were actually two versions shot. One (called "The Happy Days") featured a different actress playing Joanie (though not the same one from "Love, American Style").

Another "All in the Family" spinoff was "704 Hauser" (though it had almost nothing to do with AitF).

"Diff'rent Strokes" had "The Facts of Life", and "Hello Larry". There was also a backdoor pilot for a proposed series about a lady teaching a group of immigrants a night school.

"The Andy Griffith Show" was a spinoff of "The Danny Thomas Show". "Griffith" led to "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C" and "Mayberry R.F.D".'

And now, Dan Schneider's "iCarly" and "Victorious" are being spun off into two shows.

"Happy Days" almost got another spinoff with Ralph and Potise (the episode where the two split up their apartment was shot as the pilot).

"Gilligan's Island" also nearly got spinoffs (or sequel series). The proposed series with the gang from the island running a hotel (two TV movies were made for this), and one that would have had Gilligan marry Mary Ann, the Professor marry Ginger, and both couples have children.