what was Charles Grodin famous for?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
After hearing that Jason Segal wants to have Charles Grodin make an appearance in the next Muppet movie, it got me wondering: What was Charles Grodin famous for? I'm pretty sure that he was famous before The Great Muppet Caper. After all, he hosted an early epsidoe of Saturday Night Live (I think it's from either the second or thrid season). I guess two of his more fmaous roles have been Nickey in GMC and the father in the Beethoven movies, but was he initialy fmaous for some movie roile, or a television role, or was he a stand up comic at one point?

Princeton

Reaction score
A lot of people also remember Grodin for starring in the comedy favorite "Midnight Run".

Drtooth

Reaction score
Let's not forget.... he was in the movie Beatovin... you know. That one about the giant, messy Saint Bernard?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but is Disney going to actually let it happen?
Why wouldn't they? It's not like he commands a high paycheck. The only thing that would likely stop a Grodin cameo is Grodin himself.

Drtooth

Reaction score
How the heck do you Spell Beetoven anyway?

Get Shroeder from the Peanuts in here. he'd know.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
A few pre-“Beethoven” and “Midnight Run” Charles Grodin films of note:

1968 - played Dr. C.C. Hill in Polanski’s “Rosmary’s Baby” along side Mia Farrow.
1972 - starred in Neil Simon’s “The Heartbreak Kid” with Cybill Shepherd.
1976 - starring role in Dino De Laurentiis’ 1976 version of “King Kong” with Jessica Lange.
1981 - opposite Lily Tomlin in “The Incredible Shrinking Woman”.
1987 – costarred in the notorious Beatty/Hoffman film “Ishtar”.

He was also a short-lived Andy Roony-type commentator for 60 Minutes II starting in 2000, and hosted his own dead-pan, issues-oriented Charles Grodin Show on CNBC from 1995 to 1998.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Charles Grodin has actually done a LOT in the entertainment industry. He's a stage, film and television actor. He's a playwright. He has directed several plays, and is the author of several comedies. He has also published a few autobiographies. He's taught acting classes. And he studied drama with the legendary Lee Strasberg and Uta Hagen.

His breakthrough role was in the Neil Simon-penned The Heartbreak Kid (1972). He was Captain Aardvark in Mike Nichols's adaptation of Catch-22 (1970), the villain in 1976's King Kong remake, and appeared in Albert Brooks's feature debut, Real Life. Other films include Heaven Can Wait, Seems Like Old Times, The Lonely Guy and Heart and Souls.