What was the point?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What was the point of expanding the set to have the "Around the Corner" part, then to later get rid of it again?

BEAR

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
What was the point of expanding the set to have the "Around the Corner" part, then to later get rid of it again?

That is so funny because for some reason I have been thinking about Around the Corner a lot lately. I think I kinda liked it when it was around. Anyway, you may get some other ideas, but from what I understand they cut Around the Corner because it was too much and too many characters that it was hard for kids to keep track of it all. Again, I don;t think that is a good enough excuse. Around the Corner brought only a few newer characters with it such as Sherry Netherland, Benny Rabbit, Humphrey and Ingrid, Natasha, Wolfgang...but even after the ATC was stopped, they still use some of those characters. So I dunno. I believe Ruthi left about the time ATC did too, probably because without Finders Keepers they didn't know what to do with her. Makes me curious to know why they brought her in anyway. i mean, she was very different from the other human cast members. She was eccentric and crazy. I loved that about her. At times it sort of made the Muppet the straight character for a switch. Anyway...I am babbling too much and I don't even know if I helped answer your question so I will shut up now.:stick_out_tongue:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
it's funny in the very 1st season the street didn't bend at the play area between the apartment and Hooper's Store. it was just streight and I think it was mentioned here they changed it the 2nd season to I guess make it easier for kids to see everything or something like that. sometimes i think psycologists just make a big to do about everything.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
She made a couple of guest appearances since then.

And don't forget the other human characters they brought in then let go: Jamal, Celina, Carlos, Tarah, Michael, Lexine, Mr. Handford, etc...

Xerus

Reaction score
I noticed the same time, ATC disappeared, Elmo's World came into the series. As well as news about writers Jon Stone and Jeff Moss passing away. And the series somehow started to go downhill after that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Xerus said:
I noticed the same time, ATC disappeared, Elmo's World came into the series. As well as news about writers Jon Stone and Jeff Moss passing away. And the series somehow started to go downhill after that.
Oh contraire, I have to disagree. I think the show went downhill between 1993-1998, THEN, they starting going back uphill.

BEAR

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
She made a couple of guest appearances since then.

And don't forget the other human characters they brought in then let go: Jamal, Celina, Carlos, Tarah, Michael, Lexine, Mr. Handford, etc...

True. Handford didn't have anything to do with Around the Corner though. He was there to run Hooper's Store. There must have been some other reason why he left because he was replaced by Alan.

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
True. Handford didn't have anything to do with Around the Corner though. He was there to run Hooper's Store. There must have been some other reason why he left because he was replaced by Alan.
As far as I know though, no reason was ever given within the show for Mr. Handford's departure.

Censored

Reaction score
I never really cared for Around The Corner or the characters that went with it. To me, it felt like they were trying to do two shows in one. It seems like some of the characters were redundant; for example, Benny the Bunny seemed too much like Oscar The Grouch. Some of my personal dislikes for Around The Corner may have been because I related it so much to the post-Henson era when everything was changing so fast. Every time I saw Kingston Livingston in anything, all I could think was how much more entertaining Roosevelt Franklin could have been. I will concede that Around The Corner might have made a good spin-off of Sesame Street with a few crossovers.

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
As far as I know though, no reason was ever given within the show for Mr. Handford's departure.

Right, but not just the character but the actor too.