What was this Guy Smiley skit about?

fatblue

Reaction score
I saw this a long LONG time ago! It was probably in '69 or '70, but not sure. Anyway, it was a game show skit, and there was a monster couple on. Beautiful Day Monster played the husband, and that green monster with no arms (The one in the 'A' skit, 5th one on the right) played the 'wife'. I forget what this was about. Can anyone recall and let me know?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Xerus described this very skit sometime ago, and here's what he said:

Does anyone remember when Guy Smiley hosted the Mr. and Mrs. Game? This was shown very rarely back in the 70s. Guy did his usual welcoming us to his game show speech and then introduced the contestants. They were the Beautiful Day monster and his wife who had dark green fur, a long purple nose, curly black hair, and a flowered hat. They came in dancing not looking at what they were bumping into.

Then Guy asked Mr. Beautiful Day to get into an isolation booth so he couldn't hear the questions Guy asked his wife. And here were the questions.

Guy: "What's your husband's favorite color?"

Mrs. Beautiful Day: "Green!"

Guy: "What's your husband's favorite food?"

Mrs. Beautiful Day: "Cookie!"

Guy: "What's your husband's favorite sport?"

Mrs. Beautiful Day: "Scaring people!"

When the questions were done, they let Mr. Beautiful Day out of the booth and the two monsters started dancing again knocking over more scenery. Then Guy separated them and asked Mr. Beautiful day what's his favorite color, food, and sport one at a time. And Mr. Beautiful Day replied to each question. "GREEN!" "COOKIE!" "SCARING PEOPLE!"

And he demonstrated by growling at Guy causing him to run and crash into the isolation booth. The monsters became so happy that they've won that they danced some more knocking over more scenery.

fatblue

Reaction score
Thanks Muppetdude! I think I only saw this skit once or twice.

fatblue

Reaction score
Also, I find it funny that in a few skits Beautiful Day also had a thing for cookies too. You wonder if HE was going to be the original CM. I know the two characters existed before SS, but could it have been that BD was on the street first before they eventually brought in the furry blue guy we all came to know and love?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Cookie was on the street first, back in episode #1.

fatblue

Reaction score
Oops, that is correct, in my old age my memory is going on me Muppetdude. :eek: I guess what I meant was that he wasn't..well, formally introduced as CM in the first episode and early months of SS, just a monster always interupting Kermit's lectures or horning in on other skits ex: everyone llikes ice cream. Not sure when they 'officially' started calling him Cookie Monster, he really didn't have a name other than 'Monster' or 'filthy beast' quoting Kermit. :smile: He ate EVERYTHING at first!

MuppetDude

Reaction score
A few records from the first season labeled him as "Cookie Monster" (though the name may have not been used on the show that season), and the name stuck.

SesameMike

Reaction score
fatblue said:
He ate EVERYTHING at first!
Actually, Cookie Monster had a rather indiscriminate appetite throughout the first seven seasons that I watched. Like the time he ate the entire contents of Mr. Hooper's store (food and non-food items, and even some of the furnishings) except for a jug of cookies he promised not to touch. Or the time Ernie got a safe to protect his cookie supply, and CM opted to eat the safe.

True, it was in the earlier years that CM was more notorious for eating hard goods. Wasn't there something about "You can't eat an umbrella without ketchup!" Or CM progressively eating up a letter that Kermit was trying to lecture us on. There was this one skit in which the first Gordon "played a tune" on a banana; CM came by and ate a whistle, harmonica, etc., then played the banana himself. Then of course, CM was often eating (or just trashing?) Ernie's ukelele.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Actually at what point did Cookie Monster STOP eating everything? Even on "Big Bird's Birthday" specail in the 90s, he devoured half of Sesame Street trying not to eat the cake.

fatblue

Reaction score
'Who would eat an umbrella without ketchup? Yucky!!"

That was actually Beautiful Day Monster on Kermit's 'clues' lecture. Loved that skit a lot as a kid!