What will happen when Caroll Spinney retires?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Carroll's pending retirement

I've heard him say on tv specials, and mention in print, Carroll would like to continue to perform Big Bird and Oscar for as long as he's able to. I really admire his dedication. He's 72, and his devoted over half his life to Sesame Street. Unfortunately, we're ALL getting older, and sometime (hopefully not for a long time) the day will come when he can't perform any more. In the meantime, let's enjoy the moments he still can bring these characters to life.
Bless you, Carroll. You have been Big Bird and Oscar for a lifetime. Our lifetime.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Yep I hope never to see BB or Oscar go. I love them so much that I wouldn't be able to watch any other episodes unless Oscar or Big Bird were in them to say. I wish Carroll to keep going on and on until he can't hold that poor birds head up any longer. We all Love you too much to lose your characters. Keep it up.

fatblue

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
Yep I hope never to see BB or Oscar go. I love them so much that I wouldn't be able to watch any other episodes unless Oscar or Big Bird were in them to say. I wish Carroll to keep going on and on until he can't hold that poor birds head up any longer. We all Love you too much to lose your characters. Keep it up.
Oscar and BB, as well as Ernie, Bert and Grover are ALL icons! So here's to hoping they stay on the street, which I am sure they will. Until it becomes fact, it's all rumors.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
well since they didn't retire Ernie after Jim died they're probably not going to going to elimimate them so let's not continue to drag this on.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is trying to drag on, speculating when will Carroll retire.
I'm sure we're all aware it will happen sometime. But Carroll has managed to capture a special place in many people's hearts (not just mine) with his characters. He's the only Muppeteer who has been with the show from the beginning (Jerry Nelson running a close second) and it would be quite a sad day when he can't perform anymore. Like I said, I hope he still has a lot of good years to go.
I think most people on this post are just sharing the sentiment that for someone to do something he loves, and make other people happy doing so, for as long as he has, is really special, and you really don't find that every day. I know reality dictates that someday he won't be playing Big Bird and Oscar anymore. But you can't help be amazed at what he's accomplished.
I'll get off my soapbox now. Thank you for your time.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Carroll Spinney is, indeed an amazing person. I mean, how many people do you know, who are over the age of 70, and are still able to do half the things he is able to? I know people say that doing things that children enjoy doing is one way to stay young, and I've heard Carroll say that being Big Bird and Oscar, while very physically demanding, is probably the main reason he is as healthy and active as he is today. For him, it's as if Sesame Street is his own personal "Fountain of Youth". Having something like that, it's no wonder he has said he will continue to play these characters untill he can simply no longer hold them up anymore.
I truely think SW has pushed it's envelope to the max by retiring as many classic muppets as they allready have. And although they may have the influential power to do it, I still like to believe that, if they ever did try to retire Big Bird and/or Oscar, there would be enough people outraged by it that SW would quickly reconcider their decision.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Well, a few things: 1)Since the start of the 33rd season, the producers of the show said that they will be focusing on the core classic characters more often. 2)Big Bird and Oscar, are core classic characters, and 3)Therefore there is no chance of the two characters being written out. Secret SQuirrel said that Matt is subbing for both characters whenever Caroll is busy or not on set(and from what I read somewhere, John Tartaglia performed Oscar in SS4DMM)

So generally nothing to worry about.

Rosewood

Reaction score
I may be way off base........

muppet maniac said:
Well, a few things: 1)Since the start of the 33rd season, the producers of the show said that they will be focusing on the core classic characters more often. 2)Big Bird and Oscar, are core classic characters, and 3)Therefore there is no chance of the two characters being written out. Secret SQuirrel said that Matt is subbing for both characters whenever Caroll is busy or not on set(and from what I read somewhere, John Tartaglia performed Oscar in SS4DMM)

So generally nothing to worry about.
I may be way off base here, but wasn't the beginning of season 33 when the new format took off?:confused:

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Carroll Spinney most likely never will retire. When he does pass on, which probably won't be for another 10 or 15 years. He already has back up muppeteer's Matt Vogel and John Tartilliga as performers for his 2 charachters. It will be the same thing as Eric Jacobson taking over for Frank Oz. Notice that most actors usually perform right up until their deaths, because a lot of physical work isn't usually required with acting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
Carroll Spinney most likely never will retire. When he does pass on, which probably won't be for another 10 or 15 years. He already has back up muppeteer's Matt Vogel and John Tartilliga as performers for his 2 charachters. It will be the same thing as Eric Jacobson taking over for Frank Oz. Notice that most actors usually perform right up until their deaths, because a lot of physical work isn't usually required with acting.
I am going to agree with that. Frank only retired since, because of the projects, he hasn't the passion he once had for Muppetry. He still does a great job when he wants to do it, but even in the late 80's (just before Henson's passing) you could see less and less of his involvement. Jerry STILL works on SS, but he's getting on in years, and he has been under the weather lately, so he'd probably retire for good in a few years.

Carol has all the love of puppetry he ever had, at least from my understanding of the energy he gave, even at his book signing. He'd be one to perform until he passes, or at least gets very very ill.

Several years (maybe much much more) when he does stop performing one way or the other, they will have had an eventual continuer (I'm guessing since Henson and Hunt's passings they don't want to scramble for a recast of anyone) for Oscar and Big Bird.