1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

What would be good for glasses?

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by D'Snowth, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

I'm trying to make a pair of glasses for a puppet. Regular glasses won't work, as I have a specific shape in mind: rounded cat-eye glasses, eyes in the lenses, with the earpieces tilted way down so she doesn't stare at the ceiling. The lenses are no problem; plastic spoons work just dandy. It's the frames that have me stumped.

I made a pair out of craft foam, and though I got the shape right they are flimsy and useless. The frame barely supports the weight of the lenses when her head is still. I want to make a sturdy pair that will stay on, that won't wobble or deform if they're touched. So...suggestions/advice, anyone?
  2. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

You could still use the foam ones, just glue an actual frame behind it. I had seen them at Target made the same way all summer for kids...

Try the Dollar Stores as well, I get mine there for a $1.00 each when I need them for a project...
  3. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

I think I've got the problem licked. I dug out of storage some black vinyl placemats I got about twenty years ago for a different crafty project. (I don't throw art & craft supplies away if there's nothing wrong with them; I know that sooner or later they'll be used.) I cut the frame and earpieces out of that, hot-glued the parts together, and Bob's your uncle. They're still a tiny bit bendy, but they're stable, and easy enough to make that I can shwack together a few spares in case she needs a replacement.
  4. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

I usually go through old Mr. Potato Head kits and use the glasses from there.