Whatever happened to David and Maria?

Elizabeth

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm the "new kid" Actually--I'm old. I'm a SS viewer from the old days, I remember the first Gordon, the one with hair! :crazy: :confused:

I have a question for you classic SS fans. Originally David and Maria were a hot item. I remember them together from when I was a kid AND I have a Christmas Special from 1973 on video and they are kissing on each other in that one. (It's actually really funny, there's a scene where he's singing this meaningful holiday song to her and she can't even look at him...you can just tell she's about to crack up laughing!) So when did she ditch him and take up with Luis? He wasn't written out completely, because I've seen him in later episodes....what happened?

Elizabeth

gbrobeck

Reaction score
One reason may have been Northern Calloway's (the actor who played David) failing health. They may have realized they were going to have to write him off the show pretty soon. (He left in season 20. Maria and Luis married at the end of season 19.) And with Sonia Monzano's real life pregnancy, they needed to marry her Maria character off.

Greg

Censored

Reaction score
I always thought David and Maria were good together. I too was very surprised when she got together with Luis. I don't think the "separation" of David and Maria was ever officially mentioned, but there were at least two vague references. There is a scene where David sees Maria and Luis walking by, holding hands and waves to them. Big Bird and Snuffy are there. Big Bird says, "Don't worry, David. We'll still be your friends." David asks what he means and Big Bird says, "Well, Maria and Luis are in love, so it's 'bye bye, David'." David says, "Well, not really, Big Bird. No matter what happens, Maria and I will always be friends." Then Snuffy talks about how he and Big Bird will always be friends too and blah, blah, blah.

The second reference may be better known. At Maria and Luis' wedding, numerous characters' thoughts are coming out in song. David thinks, "Isn't it funny. I've seen her each day of my life. Now, she's becoming...becoming Luis' new wife. I'm not used to thinking of her as anyone's wife. Isn't it funny..."

I thought the latter was sadder because it sounded like David was somewhat melancholy. However, I don't think it was ever established who broke up with who, if they had already broken up when Maria and Luis fell in love, or any details like that.