Whatever happened to Lefty the Salesman?

mikealan

Reaction score
Lefty was a green-colored salesman muppet who was around in the early '70's. This same muppet also appeared as a partner of the Accomplice Fat Blue who were planning to steal the golden AN and wanting to keep the alphabet secret. Then, in the later seasons, he was about to dissappear. Why did the SW producers got rid of him?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Maybe beacause he was a little too scary for kids?

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
he resembled a drug dealer or one of those weirdos who give candy 2 kids or sell stolen watches or whatever

Thijs

Reaction score
No, I think they just couldn't write any new skits with Lefty in it. They are all the same if you think about it. They made the good decision to get rid of him. He was great for the skits he was in, but they got rid of him on the right time.

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
I was told recently that the Salesman is a stranger, and encouraging kids to talk to strangers who try to sell or give you things is not something Sesame Workshop wants to do.

secret squirrel

Drtooth

Reaction score
he resembled a drug dealer or one of those weirdos who give candy 2 kids or sell stolen watches or whatever
beacause he was a little too scary for kids
they just couldn't write any new skits with Lefty in it. They are all the same if you think about it
the Salesman is a stranger, and encouraging kids to talk to strangers who try to sell or give you things
I agree with all points. I mean, nowadays, a Lefty figure (any character like him) would NEVER be used. I mean, people who sell stuff off the streets are usually crooks, they usually STEAL the stuff they sell. I mean, look how much he shushed Ernie in "Would you like to buy an O!"

I too, agree with Tommie, he was basically a one note jokester anyway.

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
But what an indelible impression he left one all of us.

Would you like to Buy an O...a very funny joke.