Whatever Happened to Michigan J. Frog??

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
I mean come on where is he, he hasn't appeared The Looney Tunes Show at all yet, and the last thing he was on was The WB

D'Snowth

Reaction score
He was kind of a more obscure and one-note character anyway. I don't know why they made him the WB's mascot back in the day.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Probably because of the popularity of the...what...two episodes he was in? I mean, you gotta admit, the first one he was in was pretty funny.

Drtooth

Reaction score
His career was 2 Looney Tunes cartoons, the second being decades after the first, a couple Tiny Toons appearances, something on Animaniacs and Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries (both references to his network mascot days)... I don't see any logical reason for him to be on TLS, especially since it's ending in a few episodes. The bigger mystery is why the heck didn't Petunia appear, even though she's in the opening?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. I'm kinda ticked about it. They only wanted it to be 2 seasons. Why they aren't even given the standard 52 episodes is beyond me... but the obsessively purist Looney Tunes fans are happy, clearly. After all, they hate EVERYTHING that isn't the old shorts.

And quite frankly, the worst of the LT is behind them. Those two shows I constantly complain about (although, Loonatics did have 2 good episodes, I have to admit), and those GAWD awful 1960's Depatie Freling shorts.

Seriously... I almost think Loonatics is less painful to watch than "Injun Trouble."

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Part of me wonders why Michigan J. Frog was given a name years after his first short. Couldn't he just simply be called The Singing Frog? I guess the name is good for merchandising purposes, but was there any Michigan J. Frog merchandise before he became the WB mascot? I'm pretty sure his name was in the credits for his Tiny Toons appearances, which came long before that channel was started.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I remember the VHS of LITTLE GIANTS included ONE FROGGY EVENING as like a bonus toon before the feature (was it a bonus toon before the feature in theaters too?) that included a brief introduction as to why the character was named Michigan J. Frog, but I can't remember any of the details about it (I think he was named in honor of somebody or something).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I remember the VHS of LITTLE GIANTS included ONE FROGGY EVENING as like a bonus toon before the feature (was it a bonus toon before the feature in theaters too?) that included a brief introduction as to why the character was named Michigan J. Frog, but I can't remember any of the details about it (I think he was named in honor of somebody or something).
Really? They'd include a classic short before a new feature on VHS? I would have expected Another Froggy Evening to get that treatment, but not a classic-era short.

The audio commentary for One Froggy Evening mentions how Michigan got his name. It's been a few years since I last listened to that commentary, but I recall that Chuck initially wanted to call him Enrique Frog, then Michigan Frog (after "The Michigan Rag"), and then Michigan J. Frog, I think the J was to make it formal.