What's in a Name?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
My name's not too common, I only knew one person with my name growing up. And it's usually not included in those personalized name tags in stores.

But then suddenly I got a job where three different people had my name! Lol

Teheheman

Reaction score
I actually work with 3 people named Barb(it WAS 4 at one point but 1 retired) but with as common as MY name is, I just recently started working with a guy who had my name for the first time in the 70-something years I've been working there lol. Although, he goes by Dan, and I prefer Daniel. Some people call me Dan or Danny but I prefer Daniel. I keep telling people who call me Dan that I prefer Daniel, but nobody cares what I prefer........in general, but that's a different discussion entirely.

Daniel

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean, Daniel.

Personally, I never was big on nicknames that were simply abbreviations of my name; I'll accept actual nicknames, such as "Jadar" which Kathy gave me, or for a while when I interned at PBS I earned the nickname "Puppet Master', but other than that, I prefer Joseph - not Joe or Joey, but Joseph. And I actually made the mistake of that myself, back in the earlier days of Steve D'Monster's YouTube series, where I made a Creator Cameo in two or so entries to give Steve someone of a surrogate father figure to interact with, and he called me "Joe" to show his lack of respect for me (then again, would YOU respect me if I shoved my hand up your *** all the time?), soon enough, the new people I was meeting at that time started calling me Joe because of it, which is why within the last year when I was written into a couple of newer entries, Steve then refered to me as his boss instead.

At the same time, I feel like a snob asking people not to abbreviate my name: I'm okay with them calling me Joe if they want to, but I do prefer Joseph, because that's what my name is, not Joe.

Teheheman

Reaction score
If they ask, I say Daniel, if they just go for it, I cringe, but I smile and take it ya know? I work at a place where customers come in and I have to take what name they give me, I don't wanna be rude and say "I'd rather be Daniel" or whatever. I just take what they call me with a smile and bear it, but truth be told, I'd rather be Daniel. Unless people know me as Big D, that's the exception lol.

Daniel

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Thread bump.

I've met an overwhelming amount of people named Zach/Zachariah.

Meanwhile, i've never met anyone with my name, nor have I heard of anyone with my name besides a tennis player.