Hi guys,
trying to find the best sort of foam to use for making
heads of puppets ? what do you guys use.What's the best, soft
or hard foam ?

Thanks
Dogtow :smile:

MGov

Reaction score
If you are just starting out and don't want to spend the money, then the upholstery foam is good. But I've got a couple of heads that I carved from an upholstery bolster seven years ago that are turning to dust in my garage.

Otherwise, reticulated foam.

I finally started working with the stuff recently (thanks to http://www.projectpuppet.com/) after years of working with the upholstery foam. I'll never use the cheap stuff again (except for maybe experimenting).

The reticulated foam is much easier to work with, lighter weight, not as dense. It is more expensive and hard to find (I'm having trouble finding it here in L.A.) but you can find places online to order it from.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The density of foam (how hard or soft it is) should vary depending on the effect you want. The best type of foam to use is actually reticulated foam or "Scott" foam. Project Puppet sells it.

DOGTOW

Reaction score
Great ! thanks guys, that is excellent.Much appreciated.

Dogtow :smile:

propologist

Reaction score
foam

Hi Guys,

If your in L.A. Calif. or if your not, then you should call " Atlas Foam " they will ship almost any where. You can also pick it up if you like. They will cut to any thickness you like. What you get is a full untrimed sheet of foam which is on an average a 42" wide by 86" long pc. they carry a large selection of types of foam and they are usualy half the price of other foam suppliers like Foam Mart, Joanns, etc.
Thier Phone is 818-837-3626

Hope this helps,

Propologist
Mike

MGov

Reaction score
You know, I keep skipping over Atlas Foam for some reason. Maybe it's because I go down to the fabric distrct downtown more and it's in the opposite direction. Or maybe it's because they don't list prices on the website (I'm weird that way*).

Foam Mart is right down the street from me but only carries reticulated in black now. Their price for that isn't all that great anyway.

I'll drive over to Atlas this weekend.

*I'm actually weird in a lot of ways, that's just one that is relevant to this post.