What's up with TV Land?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As far as I could remember, TV Land was, for the most part, a family-friendly channel... yes they also play not-so-family-oriented shows like All in the Family, but other than that, TV Land has been pretty tame.

Now how come all of the sudden whenever they air a movie on Friday night it's always an R-rated movie? That doesn't seem very family-friendly to me.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
As far as I could remember, TV Land was, for the most part, a family-friendly channel... yes they also play not-so-family-oriented shows like All in the Family, but other than that, TV Land has been pretty tame.

Now how come all of the sudden whenever they air a movie on Friday night it's always an R-rated movie? That doesn't seem very family-friendly to me.
I haven't watched TV Land in so long...they're showing movies now?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, they've been doing that for a LONG time now! For over a year I believe. At first, the movies were just in general "classic movies", they even played Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, but for the past few months or so, they've always been R-rated movies, and I just think that's unusual for a channel that's usually, and supposedly a family-oriented channel.

anytimepally

Reaction score
but even when TV Land shows R-rated movies, they're so heavily edited that they aren't really R-rated anymore

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
It might be R RATED but they probably remove everything from it basically...

I dont like watching THREES COMPANY on any of the NICK networks cause they take so much out ('Jack goes to the dentist' had so much out of it on TV land it wasnt worth it)
Now they're censoring Three's Company, too? Sheesh!:rolleyes:

To make matters worse, the current DVD editions of The Cosby Show, ALF and Mary Hartman Mary Hartman are the SYNDICATED episodes! 3-4 minutes of each show are missing!

I own the first season set of SNL. I love it, and never imagined we would get the full, complete shows WITH the musical guests intact. However, there is one very minor quibble: the original bumpers that appeared when the show came back on air from commercial are missing for some reason. Again, this is very minor, and not even worthy of a complaint, as all 24 classic episodes are on DVD. It's just a mystery why these little photos aren't included.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
...and of course, as has been commented here many times before, the first season of TMS is missing some musical numbers, due to rights.

Teheheman

Reaction score
It's all a rights issue when it comes to things missing. I guess that they don't have the original tapes or the capibility on some TV shows to run the whole show on the DVD. I think that MASH has the whole episode on DVD when you watch the series. I dunno about Andy Griffith, but I'm sure it does too. TV Land edits some of the things out on that one to compinsate for putting the last little thing at the end, I know that when they syndicate the Andy Griffith show on some channels they don't have that little ending thing on there, which is a shame because it's probably one of the funnier segments in the whole show.

Daniel

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know that when they syndicate the Andy Griffith show on some channels they don't have that little ending thing on there, which is a shame because it's probably one of the funnier segments in the whole show.

Daniel
Syndication has pretty much done that to the earlier seasons of M*A*S*H.