What's your first Muppet memory?

wemblingalong

Reaction score
For many of us the muppets have been there pretty much our entire lives! What are your early muppet memories? When is the first time you remember seeing Kermit and all his friends?

For me I remember being in the movie theater when I was 3 years old watching The Muppets Take Manhatten. I remember seeing the Muppet Babies and laughing hysterically. I was told it was the first movie I sat through, I didn't make a peep, beside reacting to the film, and I sat mezmorized!

Another great memory (but not my first) was when was four I had a Muppet Babies casette with all the songs. I used to love playing the song Merry-Go-Round. I used to play it on my Fisher Price tape recorder and sit on my Sit and Spin and turn around singing, "We can go round and around the world...on the merry go round!"

For my older sister, who still needs to join this wonderful forum, she was in a Drive Thru watching The Muppet Movie. She can remember being in the car and my mom exclaiming, "How in the world is he riding a bicycle?"

So what's your story? :smile:

pattywack

Reaction score
Oh god! I wish I could know for sure which is my oldest muppet memory, but it's too way back to know. I'm 15 so naturally wasn't around for the muppet show and the earlier movies.

I have the slightest memories of wathing Muppet Babies when I lived in Rome and I still remember ... gah it's so hard to figure out what it was. I remember I was one of the babies, and it wasn't cartoon, it must have been an awesome dream!

I remember watching the Great Muppet Caper and I loved it! Just the feel of it, it was on tv.

I remember when my mum was out I went over to my then mum's boyfriend's house and I caught Muppet Family Christmas. WOW. That was such an amazing memory. I fell in love with the muppets then and there. Having them all together, in one house, I just loved it. It reminded me what christmas was all about. It is still my favourite muppet feature.

I saw Muppets' Christmas Carol at the movies with my mum and half-sister and I only faintly remember it. For instance when I thought of the Christmas Carol I would always remember of the version I had seen, with Michael Caine and the muppets.

I know I saw Muppet Treasure Island when I was little as well, but can't remember the details or anything. I remember I caught Muppets from Space on tv once.

Muppet Man

Reaction score
I'm 36 years old (born in December 1971), so my first Muppet memories are of Sesame Street. I don't have a specific first memory. I remember watching Sesame Street every day. When I was about three or four years old I had a Sesame Street apartment building toy that unfolded like a doll house. It had miniature furniture to decorate the rooms with and minature muppet characters including Ernie, Bert, Big Bird and maybe Cookie Monster. I don't remember whether or not there were any others. I believe it had a Mr. Hooper for the store as well. I also had Sesame Street records that I played all the time. I distinctly remember the first time I saw a television commercial advertising the premiere of a brand new show called The Muppet Show! It immediately became a favorite. When I was about five years old, my family and I traveled out of state to spend several days with some friends. I took a Kermit stuffed animal with me. It helped to keep down my anxiety about being away from home.

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
What a sweet thread :smile:

When I was little I used to go to my grandma's on a Saturday night and we'd watch Muppets Tonight, which is really my first muppet memory.

That and watching MCC, like, every Christmas. Which I still do hahha :smile:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
DAN! I never see you around here anymore! HI!

I think there was a thread like this at one point, but that's ok, I'll answer it again.

I remember the "Here Fishy Fishy" segment from Sesame Street, in fact, apparently even when I was as little as a year old my mom said I'd laugh hysterically.

I also remember Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, I'd watch it year round because my parents taped it for me, they also taped Muppets Take Manhatten and Great Muppet Caper, so I remember those well also. :smile:

Effralyo

Reaction score
Maybe since 1997 to the middle of 1998 I felt like a bit lukewarm to SS premiere series in Russia, but really fell in love with Zeliboba (and, as you can see, it continues for eternity now) after an episode where he caught cold, and had his heart listened to... :flirt: It was just stunning...

Skekayuk

Reaction score
Well in a way I guess mine has to have been at the age of five watching an item on Blue Peter about Dark Crystal. I didn't really underatand it at all at that time. But I got left with this vague memory of it. All I really remember about it was that it was an item about some film of other and these people were doing strange things at head height demonstrating how they had got some effective or other on this film.
It was many years later, with the help of a much treasured Blue Peter Annual, that I finally understood that what I had in fact seen was a group of Henson puppeteers demonstrating a 'Podling Dance' from the film 'Dark Crystal'.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Oh gosh, that's hard to answer. Sesame Street is probably it. I was born in the middle of the "big 3" movies of the late 70s/early 80s and was 3 when The Muppet Show ended, so I doubt I remember anything about seeing them during their "original" run. I did have a Muppets Take Manhatten Readalong book and record that I listened to a lot, though. And on long car rides my dad would play tapes of the soundtracks for my sister and I to listen to.

Count von Count

Reaction score
I frist saw the muppets on The Muppet Movie. After that i love puppets, And tryed to find The Muppet Show on VHS, because we did not have DVD.