When did Alaina Reed (Olivia) leave Sesame Street?

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
Does anyone know when Olivia left Sesame Street? I know it had to be sometime before 1985, because she wasn't in the episode when everyone met Snuffy for the first time, therefore she never got to meet Snuffy. I remember her Vaegly from my childhood. Just wondering if anyone knows what her departure year was. Any help would be appreciated.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
it was 1988. Or at least it was according to the Sesame Street Unpaved Book.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
I think she might have just been in rerun material until 1988. But I don't remember seeing much of her and I watched the show from 1984-1988.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I remember seeing quite a bit of her around. Your right, she was in a lot of reran material, but she did leave the show after 1988, though.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
She left the series to be part of the cast of Room 222, which was produced in California while Sesame Street is produced in New York, though when that series began she tried to be a regular on both shows, but after one or two seasons she left Sesame Street for good. Does anybody know what year Room 222 premiered?

But at least Olivia got to appear in the first Sesame Street movie. How ironic that that movie ended up being one of Alania Reed's last performances as Olivia.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
No, she was on "227", which is a different show altogether. "Room 222" is a Comedy drama from the 1960's through the early 70's on abc. 227 was on NBC in the mid 80's through early 90's. But I can kind of see how the names of those shows can get mixed up, lol.:smile:

But according to Wikipedia, it premered in the fall of 1985.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
Well. That explains a lot. Since she began on 227 in the fall of 1985, that must be why she wasn't in the episode where all the adults finally met Snuffy, and she wasn't in a lot of new episodes from 1985-1988.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
No, she was on "227", which is a different show altogether. "Room 222" is a Comedy drama from the 1960's through the early 70's on abc. 227 was on NBC in the mid 80's through early 90's. But I can kind of see how the names of those shows can get mixed up, lol.:smile:

But according to Wikipedia, it premered in the fall of 1985.
I just got the two titles mixed up. Sometimes I wonder if Sesame Workshop ever considered having her return to the show for a guest appearance... maybe it would be a multi-part story. Out of all cast members who have left the show, having Olivia return would make the most sense. She could come back to visit Gordon, Gordon can talk about how she is his sister, mention that she used to live on Sesame Street, and explain why she left. Maybe it could be said that Big Bird, Elmo, and Telly knew her (I wonder if she ever had any scenes with Elmo). Perhaps she could properly be introduced to Zoe, Rosita, Baby Bear, and Abby Cadabby. I don't think she's trying to avoid Sesame Street. I've heard about her attending some kind of convention or panel were she was talking about 227, and I think she talked positively about working on Sesame Street.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
LincolnHeights said:
I know it had to be sometime before 1985, because she wasn't in the episode when everyone met Snuffy for the first time, therefore she never got to meet Snuffy.
Though she was one of the few humans who didn't meet Snuffy in that episode, I would like to point out that hardly any Muppets got to see Snuffy in that episode. I don't know how many background performers were in that one, or if the only performers available were Caroll Spinney, Martin Robinson, Kevin Clash, and Bryant Young, but I wish that at least more background performers were there, even if characters like Ernie, Bert, Grover, and Cookie Monser didn't talk, and it would have been great to have had The Count, Herry Monster, Prairie Dawn, Forgetful Jones, The Honkers, Barkly, Biff, Sully, Don Music, Hoots the Owl (I think he bacame a major character that season), The Amazing Mumford, Bruno, and Oscar included as well.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You know, that would be nice if she could be introduced properly to te new characters. But the way things are going now-a-days, I'm not sure they care as much about continuity as much. Thae do in so many ways I have noticed, but this dose not seem like one of them.