When did Fragges get good?

matleo

Reaction score
ok, before you flame for this, let me explain.....

the other day, a freidn loaned me a tpe of Fraggle episodes many of which I haven't seen in nearly 20 years.Mos of it is the really early episodes, "30 Min Work Week" "the Beginning" "Preachification of Convincing John" "Boober's Missing Hat", The Pipebangers" and so on and so on. I've watch abotu 8 of them and one of the things hat's really struck me is how weak some of the episodes are. Particularly "Pipebangers", "30 Min. Work Week" and "Boober's Missing Hat". The story's are forced, the jokes are forced, the music is good but ithe actual lead-ups to the songs are forced and I hate to say this but some of the performances just aren't there at all. I mean there are performers (I won't say who) who seem to phone in their characters, even minor ones.

Now I remember Terry Angus telling me a looooong time ago in a chat one night that they shot the episodes out of order and the "The Beginning" is actually like the 8th episode they shot and it's obvious that "30 Min. Work Week" is clearly a first episode because the Trash Heap and Sprocket look horrible. She has no defined head, and Sprocket has no Fur on his head.

Now "the beginning" is, well, it's decent, but you can tell it's still missing something. Same with "Preachification of Convincing John". Same with the one where Gobo gets trapped in outer Space. And the one where Gobo plans to go looking for Uncle Matt is ok too. I've seen the one where Red wants to be Mokey and it's decent but still eanign toward pretty forced. Characters are there but writing is still forced on a lot of those episodes. out of the 8 episodes I've seen, the only one that has really seemed like Fraggle Rock to me has been the one where they go looking for the treasure of Fraggle Rock.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of our more staunch Fraggle fans had any thoughts on this. It kind of makes me REALLY want to see an FR complete Season 1 on DVD with audio commetaries for the first few episodes. I mean, Fraggles became one of the BEST shows ever and I've heard how a lot of people associated with the show are proud of it and rightfully so. but those first few episodes are really pretty bad. So I'm just kind of wondering when did Fraggles get good? Anyone????

--Matt

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
I dunno Matt, that's the first I'd ever heard anyone "dis" the beginning of FR, lol.

Personally, I love these shows. True, I much prefer the latter Gobo to the earlier younger-lookin' one, but still. A lotta shows seem kinda rocky at first, but find their footing pretty soon.

I must say, I've never found anything "forced" in FR, but I admit that could be because I'm soooooo biased to LOVE FR. :flirt: Probably another reason I thoroughly enjoy these shows is because, since it is the beginning of the series, I just have this childlike excitement and wonder about getting to know these characters, explore this new world, etc.

If I watched the show objectively I could maybe agree with you on some points, but as has always been my case, I'm just so "colored" to love the fraggles with all my heart that I love 'em from episode 1 to 95. :smile:

And actually, come to think of it, some of those earlier shows I actually prefer over some of the much later ones! lol :crazy:

matleo

Reaction score
yeah it kindo f surpirsed me too when I sat down and startedwacthing it. I've never ever hada negative thing ot say abou Fraggles. Ever! and yet when I was sitting and watching some of those early eps yesterday, there were moments/episodes/characters that were really weak. Just not the quality I associate with FR at all!! of Course, liek I said this only lasted for a few episodes and then they got good and then they ogt interesting and then they got incredible!!! I'm kind of ticked because my friend's tape ran out in the middle of the episode with the Invisible Gargoyle and while I remember the the potcard from Travelling Mat, I can't for the life of me remember the rest of the episode. if somebody can tell me how it ends I would be FOREVER greatful!!! I was really getting empotionally caught up in. I'm serious!!!

I actually have ot get in touch with an old high school friend too. She used ot have a collectionof eps which wasactually one of the best FR compliations EVER!!! I should have copied that tape from her when I had the chance. it had 'Manny's Land of Carpets", 'Mudwell the Mudbunny", "Red's Sea-Monster", "Mokey and the minstrels", "the Flying Wembley" and I think the "Honk of Honks"and probably a few other really great eps I can't quite remember, btu it was a great compilation. God I wish they would just put he whole series out on DVD already!!!!! Amazing stuff!!

you know, I was watching the episode where Red an Boober get traooed in the landlside this morning and I ws really taken aback. I mean, here oyu are in the middle of this children's show and Boober and Red are tlaking about what it's lke to die and Boober has this great bit of dialogu about watching a bubble as it rises up out of the laundry and hangs there for a just abrief moment and then it's gnone...just like that. And I thought "WOW!!! this is some pretty hard hitting stuff for a children's show." and that's part of what's great about it (especially the later ones) is that they really tried to avoid talking down to children. Remarkable stuff and very well handled. Just amazing!! ok, Ive rambled enough/. I'm off to bed now.

--matt

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
matleo said:
...because my friend's tape ran out in the middle of the episode with the Invisible Gargoyle...
Actually it's the Invisible Garboyle.

:wink:

And if you really want it spoiled fer ya, we can do that! lol

:stick_out_tongue:

matleo

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
Actually it's the Invisible Garboyle.

:wink:

And if you really want it spoiled fer ya, we can do that! lol

:stick_out_tongue:

I do!!! Chances are if I see the epidose again in my life it will be another 20 years and by that time, I imagine I will have forgotten it again, but for the time beign, yes, I would like to know how it ends. Anyone? Anyone???

--Matt

matleo

Reaction score
uhmmm...Boober and Wembley come home and Red and Mokey sing to them. they realise that Gobo is till out there and then I saw gobo walking in the tunnell an then the tape cut out on me, like that, blink, gone, rewind, I whine...that's it. So what happens???? thanks in advance.

--matt

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Okay, so ya saw most of it...

When Gobo starts to walk in the tunnel to the maze thingy or whatever it was that housed the Invisible Garboyle, he calls out to it, taunts it, tryin' to get it to "come to him".

It works, and while Gobo holds a big rock, he looks to where the IG is comin' from (he can hear it), he's standin' in front of the hole where it came out, and jerks away just in time for the IG to smash back into the hole, and Gobo quickly plugs it up.

Then the others find Gobo, ask what happened, he tells 'em, and ends the show by sayin', "I--I just did...what I had to do!".

Hope that helps!

:smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
"It was a mysterious and invisible...! A mysterious and invisible...!"
"'A mysterious and invisible' what?"
"I don't know. It was so mysterious and invisible."