When is SS going to talk about divorce?

dabauckham

Reaction score
To my knowledge, one of the only major areas SS still has not covered is divorce. Speaking as one whose parents separated when I was 4 and divorced when I was 5, I think I really would have benefited from a segment like this as a child. Alas, it wasn't there for me. :cry: And it still isn't there for many others who are in this unfortunate position.

And let's face it: divorce is a huge reality in the United States (and in much of the world for that matter). I wonder if we could have any impact in this forum on the Sesame Workshop to reconsider addressing this issue.

My understanding is that SS has tried this theme in screenings, but that the kids were always afraid their own parents would divorce. And yet... I just don't buy it. I really think there has to be a way...

What do others think?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
According to head-writer Lou Berger...

"We tried to do a show about divorce, because it's a real thing and there are kids out there who are dealing with it, and we actually researched and wrote and went into the studio and shot a show about divorce, and it seemed to, in the testing of it, upset kids and raise questions. There are certain things that we're not going to be able to do because we can't deal with it, it would be dishonest, and we wouldn't be able to explain the theme."

anytimepally

Reaction score
They did talk about divorce (sort of) once in a Sesame Street News Flash skit where Kermit talks to a bird whose parents don't live together.. it never specifically says they're divorced, but I think that's as close as they've gotten

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxgyoa6UStw

dabauckham

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
According to head-writer Lou Berger...

"We tried to do a show about divorce, because it's a real thing and there are kids out there who are dealing with it, and we actually researched and wrote and went into the studio and shot a show about divorce, and it seemed to, in the testing of it, upset kids and raise questions. There are certain things that we're not going to be able to do because we can't deal with it, it would be dishonest, and we wouldn't be able to explain the theme."
Yeah, I've read this - I just don't believe they can't find a way to make the theme work. If half of the marriages in the U.S. end in divorce, that means there are a LOT of kids out there who would benefit from this programming. And, if in South Africa they have created an HIV-positive muppet who (after some initial backlash) has enjoyed huge international recognition and helped many kids cope through HIV, I just can't believe they can't do the same thing for divorce. The key is to find a positive spin on it - like they did with Kami, who is a happy, well-adjusted, HIV-positive character. Why can't there be a muppet who has worked through his/her parents divorce and found a light at the end of the tunnel? This could be a really positive role-model for many kids.

Tim

Reaction score
I heard they actually shot a segment dealing with Snuffy's parents getting divorced, but the kids came away wondering about who would take care of him. They missed the point of what thery were trying to teach, so they dropped it completely.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm not surprised their original effort to address divorce was met with such upset. Divorce can be a traumatic, shocking experience. Heck, I even got upset when Stan's parents nearly divorced on South Park. You don't want to think characters you love are suddenly without both of their parents, and having no say in the situation.

Sometimes divorce is a positive thing, an end to a bad situation. Still, it's a tragedy that so many children have to deal with it at all so young in life. And I'm not sure there is a way to cushion it or make it seem better. But clearly something needs to be done to help kids so they don't grow up depressed and troubled. As the adults told Big Bird when Mr. Hooper died, "It's not all right...but it will be."