when will we have a new Muppet magazine

beaker

Reaction score
Im sure this question has been burning on any muppet fans mind...when will JHC finally bring out a new Muppet magazine? They have a monthly farscape magazine, but not one for the Muppets? How ocol would it be to go to the store and be able to get a slick glossy color Muppet magazine? The possibilities are endless, as i could just imagien all the coverage with all thats going on now(muppetfest 2003, movies/specials, music videos, merchandise, etc) there could even be mail away fan exclusive palisades figures just like in star wars insider.

I say ken, or phil or someone start up a petition to let JHC know we want a Muppet magazine!

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Cory,

In the UK there was a Muppet Magazine called 'Jim Henson's Playtime , It didnt work and only Four issues were sold.

They are very rare and hard to come by now!

Obvisously me being the 'Uber' collector i am, I have em - LOL

See ya

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah Playtime was pretty cool - but obviously geared to small children so it'd leave the hardcore Muppet fans feeling a bit empty. I'd think there probably isn't enough of a potential readership anymore to sustain a regular Muppet magazine, but certainly an official fan club with a quarterly newsletter could be very cool and profitable.

and of course there's nothing to stop anyone starting up an unofficial fanzine - Cory ?

beaker

Reaction score
>>and of course there's nothing to stop anyone starting up an unofficial fanzine - Cory ?<<

did somebody say zine? well, im already hard at work on a new full color video game publication(.r//typ3) which also does have some muppet stuff. but i have always wanted to do a full fledged muppet magazine! with the right contributors and stuff, as well as my penchant at making great layouts i could make a pretty darn good muppet magazine! actually, before i even posted this thread i was thinking of the idea.

i was actually thinking of doing a special short zine program thing on muppetfest, but it ended up just being an article

anyways, i wouldnt be surprised if the folks at jhc have a new muppet magazine in the works to launch by 2003!

Luke

Reaction score
Personally i think it would be very hard for them - they would need (at the VERY least) to attract both the kid readers as well as the nostalgic adult fans. The question is how do you find the right balance - what would/wouldn't be appropriate. A small child is going to want coloring images and large lettered stories, an adult fan is going to want Palisades news and behind the scenes articles.

Also in the UK we have a Bear magazine, we had a Moppatop one, i think there may have even been a Hoobs one at one point, plus we have multiple magazines and comics for every other kids show. If they had no support for 'Playtime' after a couple of issues where are they gonna get their readers from ?

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Also in the UK we have a Bear magazine, we had a Moppatop one, i think there may have even been a Hoobs one at one point, plus we have multiple magazines and comics for every other kids show. If they had no support for 'Playtime' after a couple of issues where are they gonna get their readers from ?<<

well, star wars strikes a balance. i loved the 80's muppet magazine. nothign wrong with having a nickleodeon magazine type approach while having a modern fan(ie: people who grew up in the 80's) sensibility.

theres a bear magazine there? weird...i thought that would be in the US , not there. are all uk magazines 'oversized'? all the film and video game magazines from the uk seem to be way larger in size than US ones. also, i know the workshop is called mopatops, so is this a magazine about the workshop?

i think soon, a muppet magazine would be perfect! i mean farscape...its great, but its only 4 years old, and is a show on cable. the muppets definately deserve a new magazine!

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah you may be right - Star Wars does strike a good balance. Don't get me wrong - i'd be all for a magazine if they could get it off the ground, but they obviously have a problem sales wise when they couldn't shift 'Playtime' in the UK.

Yes we do indeed have a BITBBH comic/magazine type thing, and yup, all our stuff is oversized and much nicer printing quality. Your U.S stuff is tiny and printed very roughly. We get a larger size Bongo Simpsons comic here, and all our other stuff is big too. Also every issue of our kids comics comes with a free gift usually - they produced a promo comic for 'Muppets From Space' and you got a free frizbee !

Moppatops Shop is yet another UK Henson's show (fairly similar to Bear) that i don't think you guys have been shown over there, it's ok - not as good as 'Hoobs' though. With 'Moppatop' i think there are also episodes you can watch on the official website. I wasn't aware the workshop here is called 'Moppatops' by the way - it's the Creature Shop same as the U.S. On top of Hoobs and Moppatops, i think there is also 'Construction Site' but i've never seen it and don't think it's puppets.

beaker

Reaction score
ooh! is there scans of the bear magazine? and there was a MFS comic!?!?!? oh man...any scans of this??? or a link?

Luke

Reaction score
There's small scans of the front of the MFS Comic and the first two issues of Playtime at

http://www.muppetcentral.com/collectibles/muppets/magazines_covers.shtml

If you want bigger scans i could stick em up on the web - as is mentioned, there are some nice color photos of Pepe in the MFS comic that haven't been seen elsewhere. I remember in Playtime they did a "Where's Waldo" type thing with the various Muppets.

As for Bear i'm not sure, i don't have it myself but i definitely have seen it many times - i'll defer to Warrick on that one.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Muppets from Space Film Special (UK)<<<

oh man, i so must have this. is there anywhere i can order this online? oddly enuff, virtually EVERY MFS and muppets tonight related coloring book, photo book, activity book ive been able to get at the local dollar store.