When You Can't Make Money off New Toons...

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Just restore the old ones! I don't think this is that bad really, just the new audio tracks p-ss me off a bit...

Original Spider-Man Series To Be Preserved

November 07, 2002

The original, friendly neighborhood Spider-Man will swing back into town, complete with a new makeover thanks to Buena Vista International Television (BVI-TV), which plans to restore the 1967 SPIDER-MAN animated series. In the restoration process, all episodes of the 52 x half-hour series will be re-mastered to a high definition format from the original 35mm film negatives. The episodes’ original soundtrack, including the memorable title song, will be renovated with a new music and effects track added. The "classic" animated SPIDER-MAN along with the other SPIDER-MAN animated series from the '70s, '80s and '90s, are part of the Fox Kids Europe (FKE) and Buena Vista Studios portfolios (formerly known as Saban), of which BVI-TV has been providing distribution services for since May 1, 2002. In other Spidey series news, Sony Pictures Television and Mainframe Entertainment are at work on a brand new 13 episode CG SPIDER-MAN series, scheduled to premiere on MTV at the end of 2002.

[From AWN.com]

Welp, there ya have it. Any thoughts?

-Matt

Drtooth

Reaction score
It looks like Spider man caught whatever Scooby Doo had. He has been quite popular ever since he was created, but he gets restored toons and a new show after the movie. I have seen "What's new Scooby Doo" and as a DOo fan, I was impressed. They modernised it without screwing it up too much.

Spiderman is really hot. At the Wang Theater (no jokes please) in Boston, a live action stunt show is being performed. Spider Man live looks like it will do well with the younger set.

But, besides that it seems only a handful of old shows get remastered. Some popular (Spiderman, Scooby Doo) and some pretty obscure (Roger Ramjet), and some that fall in between (Beany and Cecil). However, I want to see old, obscure show, like The Mighty Heroes (ralph Bakshi's hillarious Superhero parody), James Hound (another Bakshi show), and Rocky and Bullwinkle (not really obscure, just liked how Buena Vista restored, but not edited, them in the early 90's).

Plus, I'd like to See Inspector Gadget on DVD (in America) since DIC released a whole mess of DVD's (one good one, The Super Mario Super show) with Gadget's picture on them. Apparently Gadget also has a new seires in the works (that's been in the works since the live action movie came out) but there's no telling when it will be aired in the US.

So, the old classic toons are coming back. Good. These ones we had on broadcast TV lately were really boring.

grail

Reaction score
Matt -

the way i hear it, the reason they're putting in the new audio is because the current audio sounds as bad as the film looks. from what i understand, they are planning on keeping it as close to the original as possible, but actually USING the original would defeat the purpose of going through and restoring all that film. think Britney Spears. nice to look at, tough on the ears. even though it's technically "new" stuff doesn't mean they're deviating from the source. it just means the source was crap.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Yeah, I understand...and yeah, hopefully they stay as close to the originals as possible. I just would have thought with all the Hi-Fi Digital enhancing super sound byte magnifyer hooplah that they have out there today they could have just upgraded it all, rather than redoing it. Like always (well, almost always), I will wait until I have actually seen an episode or two before I make ultimate judgements.

-Matt