Where can I find Muppets in Exhibit Displays?

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was wandering if people in the know could tell me where there are actual Muppets/Fraggles/Sesame original puppets on display/exhibit.

Wiki has a lot of past exhibits but I cant find many places today that are showing stuff.

1976 Fozzie Bear is in London somewhere, but I keep forgetting where?
I know that Jim Henson's Fantastic World is travelling the USA at the mo, and the Atlanta puppetry place has a lot on show.........................

Anywhere else?

Chris

Dearth

Reaction score
They auctioned Fozzie off?

What the hey!

There are (or were) some Muppets on display at the Smithsonian in Washington, DC.

I'm not sure about Jim's birthplace in Leland, MS, but I want to say they have some puppets.

And is Hoggle still at that unclaimed baggage place?

Dearth

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
I'm not sure about Jim's birthplace in Leland, MS, but I want to say they have some puppets.
I was just there a few weeks ago. They currently have Song of the Cloud Forest puppets, but I don't think that's permanent. I can't remember if Kermie is a puppet or poser, though.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Thanks for the info so far.

Yes Fozzie was auctioned off when the Teddy Bear Museum closed and he is now in some other museum in London?

I have heard of the 'Birth of the frog museum' I'd love to go, I think the Cloud Forest stuff is always there? Id love to see it.

I also thought that Oscar was at the Smithsonian? Not 100% sure, anyone seen him there?

Chris

Slackbot

Reaction score
The Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta has a lovely, permanent Henson exhibit. Many original puppets are there, including Kermit, Dr. Teeth, Ernie, Rowlf, Bugsy Them, Jim, Big Bird, Fraggles and Nativity Fraggle puppets, Link Hogthrob, Dr. Strangepork, a Skeksis, Sir Didymus, the La Choy Dragon, Hands from the Oubliette, the two-headed Labyrinth guards, the door knocker... there's plenty more, but that's what I can recall offhand. There are also films, including footage of old Henson commercials and show appearances, and Henson interviewing other puppeteers.

Price of admittance is a mere $8, and if you turn up on Thursday between 1:00 and 3:00 it's free. Can't beat that with a stick.

They also have shows regularly. Last time I went there I saw the "Between the Lions" roadshow. I wasn't really there for the show; I'd never heard of BTL before. I went so I could meet up with an old high school friend of of mine, Peter Linz. :halo:

(Edit: Oops, you aleady knew about the CPA. Oh well, maybe this info will be useful to others.)

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Thanks Slackbot, that info is still very welcome. Many Thanks,

I am hoping to visit Atlanta to see the exhibit, but think its better if I can wait until 2012 when they open up the Henson/ Muppets West Wing, maybe there will be some sort of grand opening/ceremony.

Are there NO PHOTOGRAPHY signs at all these places as there are very little images on the web from exhibits!

Can I wait til 2012? that's a long time!

Chris

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Last time I was in Leland, MS, at the Jim Henson Boyhood Museum, there were Muppets on display from Song of the Cloud Forest. They have an exhibit that changes every 4 or 6 years, I forgot which. They also have an official Kermit on display there from the Jim Henson Company when they still owned the Muppets.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Are there NO PHOTOGRAPHY signs at all these places as there are very little images on the web from exhibits!
They don't allow it at the Atlanta museum or either of the two museums where we saw the Jim Henson's Fantastic World :frown:, although my study skills teacher was at the Smithsonian and said that they allowed pictures of certain things, including Kermie :smile:. The Leland exhibit also allows photos. :big_grin: