Which Is Scarier?

Bridget

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I hope your day has been going well! I forgot where I heard this question exactly, but I thought that I'd share it with my "Muppet Buddies!" Which is scarier? A sworn of bees flying after you, OR bees going extinct one day. I don't know why, but it really had me thinking.

Ever since I was a little girl, I've always had a strong fear of bees. Whether they sting or not, for some reason I'd always let out a big blood-curdling scream when I saw one. But the thought of bees one day going extinct is pretty scary to me to. It is the insects job of course, to pollinate by collecting pollen from flower to flower. So if we didn't have bees... Doesn't that mean no fruits and veggies?

What about you guys? Sworn of bees or bee extinction?

Ciao!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Bees are so beneficial to nature, but still hurts getting stung by them.
Wasps, however, hurt more when they sting (one summer, a friend and I were walking through the woods, stepped on some branches, and there was a wasp nest underneath. A swarm got me with about twenty stings on the inside of my legs. Took three shots of Benadryl to ease the pain and swelling.) so if wasps fell off the face of the earth tomorrow, I wouldn't bat an eye.

Keep the bees, lose the wasps (unless they learn how to make honey).

Scooterforever

Reaction score
If bees went instinct I'm sure modern science would quickly find a way around it. On the other hand, I've always been scared of yellowjackets, so I'd have to say a swarm of bees is scarier.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I would be very happy if bees went extinct. I am highly allergic. The first time I got stung by a bee was on a bus ride, and of course I lived a good 30 minutes away. By that time I started to go into shock and had to be taken to the hospital. Luckily my mom gave me like triple the dosage of benadryl so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Now I know if I get stung I just take like two doses of benadryl right away, get knocked out in 10 minutes, sleep, and I'm fine :stick_out_tongue:

Hopefully I just don't get stung without access to benadryl. I really should start carrying it around more...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Ever since I was a little girl, I've always had a strong fear of bees. Whether they sting or not, for some reason I'd always let out a big blood-curdling scream when I saw one. But the thought of bees one day going extinct is pretty scary to me to. It is the insects job of course, to pollinate by collecting pollen from flower to flower. So if we didn't have bees... Doesn't that mean no fruits and veggies?
Would it really mean no fruits and veggies? I thought those could be grown without bees. It'd more likely mean no more sugar.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
It would only affect plants that need pollen...

But you can artificially pollinate plants without bees anyway, so, no, fruits and vegetables would probably not die off completely, but they would be more expensive

Drtooth

Reaction score
As someone who's absolutely terrified of bees and runs like Wade Duck away from one, even though he's a full grown adult, it's completely selfish to want their extinction. Sure, food can survive in a creepy Montasanto sort of way, but do we really want that?

I just wish they'd come up with some sort of bee replant that's harmless to the bees, yet makes them stay the heck away.

Bridget

Reaction score
Well I guess bees being here is far more important than us not liking them. I know they are pretty annoying (and scary to me!), but I'd rather a swarm of bees chase after me than they go extinct. I was looking at The Bee Movie yesterday, and the effect of the bees not pollinating is pretty intense. The Earth would be a terrible place to live without them!

Misskermie

Reaction score
Bees help pollination along.
And without that...
There's no flowers.
Because you know...
(Not sure I really paid attention in Agriscience at this point... :stick_out_tongue:)
So then we'd have a hard time breathing...
Yeah...

Vicki Fraggle

Reaction score
Bees going extinct is way scarier, lots of things we depend on need bees and humans wouldn't be able to replicate it fast enough and on a big enough scale.