Who Here Loves the Alphabet?

Xerus

Reaction score
All my life, I've loved those 26 little shapes that make so many sounds known as the alphabet. And you don't have to buy it either. It's free just like grass, trees, and air all around you. :smile:

Ever since I was a kid, I always enjoyed playing with alphabet blocks and magnets and grew up on Sesame Street and The Electric Company. I was pretty good with phonics in school.

In my later years, the alphabet helped me with my career. I started volunteering at the library after school and I had a knack for putting all the books in alphabetical order. Then when I grew up, I got a job filing and my alphabet loving skills helped me be an expert filer and got many raises. And it's all thanks to the wonderful alphabet.

Who else loves the alphabet as much as I do?

Ziffel

Reaction score
I'm a big alphabet fan too. :smile: I always liked both letters and numbers as a child and enjoyed reading, writing, spelling, and math. So the number sketches, alphabet sketches, and letter sketches of SS were some of many aspects that made the show so appealing to me. And the phonics of the 26 letters always really interested me too. Especially fascinating are letters like g (as described in the Grover/George sketch) that have more than one sound.
Hooray for the alphabet! And Big Bird's great song, "Ab cuh def gee jeckle muhnop qruh stuve wixes" further shows the marvel of the alphabet - that it can be sounded out almost as if it's a 26 letter real word, despite having 21 consonants!

Beauregard

Reaction score
*sings* Abcadefkeylemopdubixez...it's teh funiest sound word I ever tried to spell based on how it is pronounced...

Gonzo14

Reaction score
wooohooo, I'm at 700, I'm going to bed now (yawn)

luvtosr

Reaction score
I do love the old alphabet but it used to cause me to get a little mad with Sesame Street. See, Americans pronounce 'Z' as 'zee' but we pronounce it as 'zed'. Used to really tick me off, that and the different tune they had.

Ernie101

Reaction score
luvtosr said:
I do love the old alphabet but it used to cause me to get a little mad with Sesame Street. See, Americans pronounce 'Z' as 'zee' but we pronounce it as 'zed'. Used to really tick me off, that and the different tune they had.
I seriously love cultural differences.

Well, the alphabet..hmm..lemme see..

I never really thought about this until now. However, I remember in kindergarden and in first grade we had these little puppets for each letter of the alphabet.. and they would use the puppets to teach us the letters :stick_out_tongue:

They were like Mr.N-who sneezes a lot and Mrs.M..
It was actually pretty creative.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
It certainly sounds like it, although I don't know what N. has to do with sneezing.
As for me, when I was little, I also loved to play with letter toys. When I actually learned the alphabet, it was in braille, which if you've ever seen it, is pretty exciting in itself. It wasn't until I was older, that I learned a little print, and that was just writing my name. At first I was reluctant, but then I enjoyed it. I wanted to learn more, but to this day, that is all I can do.
Now that I have babbled enough, I just have one question. For those living in England, Aren't Z. and Zed. two different letters?

luvtosr

Reaction score
Fragglemuppet said:
For those living in England, Aren't Z. and Zed. two different letters?
No our alphabet is the same 26 letters as the American one but we just pronounce the last one differently (btw you do realise that to me that reads 'zed' and 'zed' :smile:.

I dunno why it's different, normally things can be blamed on Webster (is that right - the dictionary guy?) because he (along with a unch of other people wanted to simplify things and break properly from the old Imperial UK influence after you all became independant so you lost a lot of superfluous 'u's as in f.a.v.o.(u).r.i.t.e and c.o.l.o.(u).r. But I'm pretty sure he didn't change pronounciation too.

If anyone has any facts about this, it would be interesting.